Can a tamiya flat clear be used over alclad?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robbbie1984

Airman
Nov 25, 2012
Just brought some alclad and I would like a dull worn flat metal finish on the project. Would tamiya flat clear work as I'm addicted to using the stuff and love how it works! Also weathering on the subject, can you weather straight onto alclad or do you need a clear coat and which product is best?! I realise this will be trial and error but here goes!

Can't say I've tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't work. As far as I know, the Tamiya stuff is acrylic based which can go over enamels. My experience with Tamiya Flat Base though suggests to not apply this straight from the bottle but to mix it into a clear coat, otherwise you get a dusty look. But you probably know that gien that you seem to have used it before.

Best thing is to try it on a bit of scrap plastic.

That's cool, was worried there may be some nasty reaction as wasn't sure what alclad could handle but from what I've read it appears durable......time to crack on then! Cheers!

remember Tamiya FLAT BASE and TAMIYA FLAT CLEAR are 2 different things, flat Clear is already mixed while the Flat Base is an additive to Flat or Gloss clear. be careful with the ratio of adding Flat base as it WILL create a frosting effect if too much is used. As Andy says try it elsewhere first on a sample...

I made the same mistake - once! Be aware that any clear coat over a metal finish, will alter the look of that finish, and magnify the metallic particles. As Andy mentioned, it would be best to experiment first, on a piece of scrap plastic or a scrap model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back