Can anyone help me identify if this is from a Spitfire or a Hurricane ? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

johnnytwoscoops

Recruit
Aug 12, 2021
Afternoon everyone,

My next door was given this after his son sadly passed away and he had been told (like many other posts I've seen) that this could potentially be the rear wheel from a Spit or a Hurricane, Can anyone help me out in identifying it ? I think that maybe the red side of the wheel has been painted after the wheel was made but could be wrong, I have tried to get the markings as clear as possible in the photos but if you need any more please let me know, I think that if this is from one of those two planes my neighbour would like to donate it to an air base or museum and maybe find out some history of the plane it came from , Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and I hope one of you knowledgeable people out there can assist me and my neighbour.

Regards

John

Attachments

• IMG_2352.JPG
    IMG_2352.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2351.JPG
    IMG_2351.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2350.JPG
    IMG_2350.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2349.JPG
    IMG_2349.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2348.JPG
    IMG_2348.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2347.JPG
    IMG_2347.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2346.JPG
    IMG_2346.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2345.JPG
    IMG_2345.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2344.JPG
    IMG_2344.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 79
Peter D is correct, is is a Dunlop AHO/5000 early Mk1 Hurri tail wheel.
Thank you for your response that is great news to be able to tell him , would you know if I would be able to find out anything of its history with those markings , maybe from somewhere else on this fantastic website ?

Generally, one can not trace a particular part like a tail wheel to a particular airplane unless its discovery can be linked with a crash site or written record of provenance. The red hub is interesting and may be a clue to someone but sadly I have nothing to offer in that regard.

As others said, unless from a crash site, unlikely to trace. They rarely put the tail number on wheels, weird since often the only thing that might survive a crash was the tail wheel as it had a shock absorbing tyre. Red often means the wheel is only serviceable foreground use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back