Can anyone recognize this bomb (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cookie bomb

Airman
Sep 1, 2012
Scampton Lincolnshire
IMG_0772.JPG
IMG_0770.JPG
IMG_0771.JPG

I got this yesterday from the antique center at EX RAF Hemswell, has anyone got any idea what is is?
You can see a red detonator through the hole in the end. The only markings are the stencils you can see (36\SM MK1 MOD3) no stamps that I can find.
Could it be an inert practice round, USAF incendiary 100 lb? just a guess.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

View attachment 308150View attachment 308151View attachment 308152
I got this yesterday from the antique center at EX RAF Hemswell, has anyone got any idea what is is?
You can see a red detonator through the hole in the end. The only markings are the stencils you can see (36\SM MK1 MOD3) no stamps that I can find.
Could it be an inert practice round, USAF incendiary 100 lb? just a guess.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

The Dimensions:
Total Length 53cm 21"
Width 16cm 6.2"
Fin Depth 11cm 4.3"
Circumference 51cm 20"
Hole 25mm
The red 'detonator' inside has 3 holes in the center.

Certainly looks like a practice bomb, possibly smoke. The shape, colour and markings look American, but can't add more. Nice find ... and I hope it is inert !

I've had a quick flick through my 'British Explosive Ordnance' with no luck (unless I missed something). Maybe US?
Cheers
Steve

Certainly looks like a practice bomb, possibly smoke. The shape, colour and markings look American, but can't add more. Nice find ... and I hope it is inert !

Yes I was thinking American, I did find something of a similar shape under the USA. IT has to be inert as you can see right into it through the hole in the end and it's empty, unless the front detonator part still has a surprise waiting, best not to drop it. I think a yellow band indicates a practice round. Anyway, interesting item to have. (Not a favorite with the Trophy Bride, however). :oops:

I've been through British(1944) and American(1950) and found nothing.

View attachment 308156View attachment 308157

Geo

Yes so did I (better than Christmas TV) and found absolutely nothing, if it wasn't for the fact that it is made so well and the internal detonator part looks correct I would have said it had been made up as a prop for a film or something.
Should it not have some rings welded on? no sign of anything being removed. Thanks for looking anyway.

As far as I know, practice bombs don't have suspension rings or lugs, being held in a streamlined small bomb container which, I believe, utilises a type of 'clam shell' fairing which, when opened, releases the bomb. I've got some pics of modern British SBCs somewhere, which are shaped rather like a bomb at the front, with the rear section being 'half round' on the top, with the bottom open, and most of the bomb visible when loaded.
Those American types I've seen are similar in appearance and, I guess, in the way they operate.
'Live' explosive ordnance markings normally consist of a coloured band denoting the type - red, mid-green etc, and stencilled lettering denoting the type of explosive.

The Dimensions:
Total Length 53cm 21"
Circumference 51cm 20"

From that size a quick rule of thumb is how many suspension points does it have because US and Brit bomb shackles are totally different.
Two 35 cm (14 in) apart means probably US, maybe European (I have no experience with any European shackles so no idea on their construction)

US carrier.jpg

Only one probably means British, Japanese or maybe European
UK carrier.jpg

The only markings are the stencils you can see (36\SM MK1 MOD3).

From OP-1050 Aircraft Smoke Bombs 1943 and same doc dated 1945 I would hazard a guess at a Floating Smoke Bomb Mk 1 Mod 3.
The manual above only covers the Mk 1 Mod 1 and Mk 1 Mod 2 Floating smoke bombs and both are longer. Unfortunately the manual does not cover the bombs markings.

My suggestion is to try and find a copy of OP-1050 Aircraft Smoke Bombs dated later than 1945

Users who are viewing this thread

Back