Can Colorblind people fly?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Hey guys,

I've been telling my parents how at one point or another I want to take flying lessons and my mom is saying I can't because I'm color deficient. It's not as bad as people think when I take the Ishihara Test. To be honest I can't do that test for $hit but even when two similar colors are together I have no problem..the FAA says

FAR 67.103 (c) – Ability to perceive those colors necessary for the safe performance of airman duties.

So what am I limited to with colorblindness ?

FAR 67.103 (c) – Ability to perceive those colors necessary for the safe performance of airman duties.
The ability to perceive is the key word there.

Being color blind may skew colors and shades of colors, but if you have the ability to perceive red from green, for example, then I don't think there would be an issue. But that's my observation and I'll wait to see what someone more qualified has to say.

I do have a friend who's colorblind and different shades of colors appear as different colors alltogether. Now that degree of colorblindness might make it difficult to qualify, yet he has no problem getting a driver's license.

Its pretty important to percieve colour, runway lights(white), taxiway(blue), and all the other colours involved on an aerodrome reds greens etc . I think it will be pretty tough hope this doesn't deflate you balloon. FlyboyJ should be your source for the most correct info

Heh. My first thought on reading the title of the thread was "I don't see why not...you just won't be able to tell what color gloves the TSA agent is feeling you up with". But that would contribute nothing to the thread, so I won't say it.

Heh. My first thought on reading the title of the thread was "I don't see why not...you just won't be able to tell what color gloves the TSA agent is feeling you up with". But that would contribute nothing to the thread, so I won't say it.
If it helps any, I even kept my laughing completely on-topic!

Though some of the guys in the shop were wondering why I was sitting there at the desk laughing my a$$ off :lol:

Well, my other thought was that I didn't know, but I'm sure there were plenty here who'd love to shove Harrison out of a plane and find out if Colorblind people *can* fly (my first guess would be....no). But that wouldn't be nice, either, so I won't post it.

Laughing on-topic means you only laugh about the topic you're currently reading. You can't, for instance, go down to the modelling forums and start chuckling about something in Mike's Big Move thread. That would just be rude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back