CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TYPE OF AIRPLANE THIS IS? THANKS.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

seasickseagull

Recruit
Jul 14, 2011
komori 38 poster.JPG

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH....I just posted another picture of an airplane...maybe you can identify that one too?

Jeff

Where are you getting these pics from? I would suggest that maybe you check out our Picture Album - there are many pics of these planes. Of course if that doesn't help, feel free to ask like you have. :)

Not sure how accurate the painting is, but it really can't be a North African 66th FS now that I look at it, since it doesn't have the outer ring around the U.S. insignia.

It has 6 .50 MGs in the wings, which would be an E model onwards, but there's a carb intake on the cowl, so it's not an F, which had the Packard Merlin...

So I'm gonna say a P-40E and most likely Pacific Theater...

I was thinking NA also, but I realized it doesn't have the gold band around the insignia...so if it were part of the NA ops, it would have to have been there before Op. Torch (Nov42) and the insignia in the picture doesn't have a "meatball" in the center, so it's portrayed from May42 onward

Last edited:
no USAAF P-40's based in N.Africa used P-40Es. only the RAF. @ Operation Torch the 57th and so on were equipt
with the P-40F. Then later the P-40K.

Nice work, BP!

Notice the red spinner in the photo, but camo on the spinner in the profile.

It looks like the artist in the Komori (both P-40 and P-51) profile based thier artwork on actual aircraft, but "modified" the artwork to a certain degree

Last edited:
the only fighter group in the CBI that used a red spinner was the 89thFS/80thFG. and that wasn't until the Spring of 44 when
they got the P-40N's. I could be wrong but I think thats how it went.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back