Captured Spitfire Mk Vb

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
Hi guys

I'm fishing for some information on a possible future build. I'm thinking of doing the Mk Vb Spitfire serial no. EN 830 which was captured by the Germans 18 November 1942. Now I know that if I choose to do this in 1/48 scale there is a resin nose kit but seeing that this would be in 1/72....

Would I be correct in guessing I would need the nose, exhaust manifolds, prop blades, and carb intake of a Bf109? If so what model of BF109 would it be?

Thanks in advance

Source : the Spitfire site. ..... Wolf in Sheep's Clothing – Modelling Captured DB605-Powered Spitfire – The Spitfire Site Sandbox

"Built from a Spitfire Mk. Vb airframe captured in November 1942, this curious aircraft was used by Daimler Benz for comparative trials between the DB 605 German engine and the Rolls-Royce Merlin.

Spitfire Mk. Vb serial no. EN 830 originally belonged to No. 131 "County of Kent" Squadron RAF and was marked NX – X. On 18 November 1942, being flown by P/O Bernard Scheidhauer of the Free French Air Force, this aircraft was hit by flak on a Rhubarb mission over the coast of Normandy. Scheidhauer made a forced landing in a turnip field at Dielament Manor, Trinity, Jersey and was taken prisoner. His aircraft, with only minor damage, was transported to Germany, eventually being sent to Echterdingen, where Daimler-Benz operated a flight testing division.

The Spitfire airframe no. EN 830 was converted by removing the entire engine section, and then adopting a DB 605 unit from a Bf 110G twin-engine fighter. Fortunately, the engine unit of the German twin was very similar in cross-section at the firewall to the Spitfire. A new engine support was designed, and a standard DB 605A-1 engine Werknummer 00701990 was mounted to the firewall. A standard 3.0 m diameter VDM propeller from the Bf 109G was added, together with the carburettor scoop from the same fighter."

According to this you need the front part of the BF 110 engine cowling with these exhaust pipes. The prop, the spinner and the carb intake from Bf 109G.

"The entire conversion including connecting the engine's systems with the rest of the aircraft proved rather difficult. The work was completed at the Sindelfingen Daimler-Benz factory, near Echterdingen, which provided the necessary expertise and tooling."

So it is possible that a few indicators of the engine control set were replaced.

I've got some pics of this somewhere, and posibly the full story of the conversion. I only hope it's not all in the Messerschmitt book which has gone missing - I think possibly fallen down behind a wardrobe! If that's where it's hiding, it can stay there - no way I'm going to attempt to empty, then move, a solid teak, bl**dy big piece of furniture!!

Yeah I'm interested too if this ever got completed :D I've been wondering myself to do that Yugoslavian DB hurricane too :D hehe looks almost like a Ki-61 :D

hmmmm that has got me thinking, Ki-61 front end attached to a hurricane body :D for a Yugo DB Hurricane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back