Carrier Air War in Original WWII Color (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
Carrier Air War in Original WWII Color: US Navy Air Combat 1939-1946
by Robert Lawson and Barrett Tillman.
176 pages
Publisher: Motorbooks International; 1st edition (May 1996)
ISBN-10: 0879389834
ISBN-13: 978-0879389833

I really don't lnow much about a/c carriers and their operations except just major battles and a/c types and I got this book from a yard sale for a good price. But if you are interested in naval aviation, you must have this book. The 2 authors write a very good account of the air war on the water with the text, although you won't find any real in-depth studies of the war. Thats because with the limited number of pages, they cover every facet of the air war in the PTO and ETO except the contribution from the USAAF. This is a naval aviation book and includes carrier flyers, Marine pilots, recon, transport - just about everything that had wings in the Navy and USMC. What I liked was the usage of military terms for many groups and operations in the Pacific which gives the reader a closer perspective of what was going on. Terms like CASU, fitron and "black shoes' vs "brown shoes". Its obvious these guys are military men. As a bonus, the text is filled with personal reminises from actual pilots and ground crew who were there and it completes the picture the authors are thrying to present.

But its the pictures that this book is about. And what pictures! I have never seen such colorful, crisp detailed pictures such as these in any book! This book is not only a must have for aviation enthusiasts but also for warplane modellors as the pics of planes are so clean, you will know excatly how to model that plane of yours.

I highly recommend this book and just a quick check on Amazon books, I see used hardback copies for $3 to $10. Definately a great addition to my library!!

Attachments

• 51FBRTBQJ6L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51FBRTBQJ6L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 137

Users who are viewing this thread

Back