Cartridge starters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's a cartridge that fires and explosive charge which in turn produces a bust of compressed air. That air is piped into a diffuser unit that turns the engine with enough force where engine ignition is possible.

Cartridge or "Shotgun" starter were found on recips and jet engines and were developed to save weight and eliminated the need for a heavy starter generator. On the down side, starts were tricky, especially on the recips. Those folks who operate warbirds who use shotgun starters pay $100.00 a start!

Thanks for that info Fly and for the question Jug (I could be tempted to say Jug head But that would be very rude of me) :D
Is it right Fly that they are known as Kaufman starters? as that is what Jimmy Stewart referred to them in The Flight of the Phoenix

trackend said:
Thanks for that info Fly and for the question Jug (I could be tempted to say Jug head But that would be very rude of me) :D
Is it right Fly that they are known as Kaufman starters? as that is what Jimmy Stewart referred to them in The Flight of the Phoenix

'I'M GONNA USE ONE TO CLEAR THE CYLINDERS." You're absolutely right Track, and it just so happened I saw the remake of that movie the other night!

FLYBOYJ said:
trackend said:
Any good Fly?

Some things were better than the first one, but I miss Jimmy Stewart. Still a good "guy flick."

In the first movie they actually flew the plane they built. It's visable as it flies behind the dune at the oasis. A really great pilot, Paul Mantz, wasn't able to make the landing and died in the attempt.

wmaxt

wmaxt said:
FLYBOYJ said:
trackend said:
Any good Fly?

Some things were better than the first one, but I miss Jimmy Stewart. Still a good "guy flick."

In the first movie they actually flew the plane they built. It's visable as it flies behind the dune at the oasis. A really great pilot, Paul Mantz, wasn't able to make the landing and died in the attempt.

wmaxt

Quite correct, and what really sucks is the scene they were shooting that resulted in Mantz's death wasn't even used in the movie!

In the 2nd FoF they were going to build a flying model, but its construction ran behind schedule so it was cancelled.

If you ever seen the movie "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad world, there's a scene when a twin Beech flies through a billboard - that was Paul Mantz.

In 1978 his partner Frank Tallman was killed in a plane crash, I salvaged his wreck. :(

you wouldn't be set me up Fly now would you making me spend my hard earn ackers on seeing a duff film:)

trackend said:
you wouldn't be set me up Fly now would you making me spend my hard earn ackers on seeing a duff film:)

Well I wouldn't give it five stars, but I didn't think it sucks. I think D and I need to have a movie critic fourm where we rate movies. Of course we'll always disagree and have petty arguments of the whole situation. ;) :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back