Catalina FP194 help.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

s1chris

Staff Sergeant
Dec 10, 2011
England
Hello, more help needed please. This time I'm just after the final letter of the squadron code for RAF catalina Mk1b of 131OTU. Serial FP194. The code starts AH - ?. If I can figure this out then I have an entry for the current GB so hopefully it can be found.

Cheers Chris

Last edited:
Jan (Lucky 13) might be able to help on this one Chris, if he sees the thread. That said, trying to track down individual code letters, even with squadron ORB's, is like trying to find rocking horse poo, unless of course, there's photo evidence.

Hi Terry,

tell me about it. I've been searching for close to a year for this one letter and have not had any joy.
Was there any logic to what letter was applied to which plane?

Cheers Chris

Only in as much as they were applied as near to alphabetical order as was possible, not necessarily in 'serial number order', although if possible, where a 'serial block' (for example, AB123 to AB143) was received on a squadron, which would be rare, this would possibly be done, if time allowed, and depending in what order the painter got to them!
And, of course, there could be, and were, a number of aircraft on a squadron with the same letter, due to losses, replacements, re-allocation to a different Flight, etc etc.

Hello, more help needed please. This time I'm just after the final letter of the squadron code for RAF catalina Mk1b of 131OTU. Serial FP149. The code starts AH - ?. If I can figure this out then I have an entry for the current GB so hopefully it can be found.

Cheers Chris

Are you sure it was the Catalina FP 149? As memo serves there has already been posted your thread about Catalinas of the 131 OTU and the serial was FP 194 there. It was the Catalina – FP194 that crashed on Lough Erne during an instructional flight in May 1943.

Thanks Terry and Jan,

Jan, She crashed on Loch Erne on 10th May 1943 and to be fair you have had a look before at the point I was buying the model kit.
Just wondered if anybody that hadn't seen the modelling thread last year may have had a clue.

I've been looking at this picture of FP243 (I think). Certainly a 131 OTU bird though.

A61E8D18-09AB-468E-B8B8-826A346EF8AD.jpg

Where is the additional letter on the fuselage/hull? I can only make out the AH and serial.
Is it possible that it didn't have the code letter?

Really want to get this one done for the GB but can't build it without the full codes I guess.

Cheers Chris

Are you sure it was the Catalina FP 149? As memo serves there has already been posted your thread about Catalinas of the 131 OTU and the serial was FP 194 there. It was the Catalina – FP194 that crashed on Lough Erne during an instructional flight in May 1943.

iPhone typo Wojtek, sorry. Good spot though and yes it was me as you know that posted it back then. How do I edit the title?
Cheers Chris

Hold your horses, just done it by going advanced edit on the original post.

Cheers Chris

Thanks for the assistance and eagle eye Wojtek. I'm sure if you were a fighter pilot you would be an ace lol

Thank you .That's very kind of you. But you are right. I was going to be a fighter pilot but it appeared I was too tall when getting med tests for the Polish Air Force Academy in Dęblin. However I always wanted to be a helicopter pilot. :)

Wojtek, are you a heli pilot then? If so I never knew that lol

Cheers Jan, looking back through that thread no conclusion was drawn on the code either lol. What are your thoughts on that photograph? Possible that only AH was applied?

Wojtek, gutted. Would have been fun being able to call a helicopter "your office".

Big thanks for all the info as always guy's.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back