CBS is Reporting 40K Troops On the Way

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Amsel

Tech Sergeant
Jul 15, 2008
Texas
(CBS) Tonight, after months of conferences with top advisors, President Obama has settled on a new strategy for Afghanistan. CBS News correspondent David Martin reports that the president will send a lot more troops and plans to keep a large force there, long term.

The president still has more meetings scheduled on Afghanistan, but informed sources tell CBS News he intends to give Gen. Stanley McChrystal most, if not all, the additional troops he is asking for.

Special Report: Afghanistan

McChrystal wanted 40,000 and the president has tentatively decided to send four combat brigades plus thousands more support troops. A senior officer says "that's close to what [McChrystal] asked for." All the president's military advisers have recommended sending more troops.
Obama's Afghan Plan: About 40K More Troops - CBS News

I just read this on Yahoo. Said it may not be the 40,000, but will still be 10's of thousands. I thought one of Obama's anti-Bush speeches was to get the troops out of the middle east.

Hmmmmm.

I just read this on Yahoo. Said it may not be the 40,000, but will still be 10's of thousands. I thought one of Obama's anti-Bush speeches was to get the troops out of the middle east.

Hmmmmm.

Breaking campaign promises is not unusual for politicians, it's a cliche.

I'm glad a decision was reached finally. In my mind the United States should fight to win or get the hell out of there.

Vassili said it best....

I had said "How do you not follow your own advice?"

Vassili said "Become a politician."

Actually in defense (somewhat) of OB1, he did say he wanted all troops out of Iraq and more emphasis on A-stan. This should of been done a long time ago. Eradicate the last pockets of Al Qaeda, weaken the Taliban (we're never going to remove them) then get the hell out of there. Have armed Predators flying around 24-7 just in case some one gets collective amnesia.

Nov. 9 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama's national security adviser dismissed reports that the administration has reached a decision to send thousands of additional troops to Afghanistan.

Obama hasn't received final options that he has requested, neither has he reviewed those alternatives with his national security team, said National Security Adviser James Jones, responding to reports by the Associated Press and CBS News. The AP reported Obama would add "tens of thousands more forces," while CBS said he plans to send four combat brigades plus thousands more support troops.

"Reports that President Obama has made a decision about Afghanistan are absolutely false," Jones said in a e-mailed statement today. "Any reports to the contrary are completely untrue and come from uninformed sources."
Obama Adviser Dismisses Reports of Afghanistan Troop Decision - Bloomberg.com

If he does send 40K to A-stan, does that mean he has to give back his Nobel Peace Prize?

Would be a riot if he decides to send 40K to A-stan the day before he goes over to pick it up.

Obama did fulfill two promises from his campaign. Buy his kids a dog, and go on a vacation.

Obama made a bunch of promises when he was campaigning, without being privy to any top secret knowledge. When he was elected, he finally got into some "Big Boy" top secret meetings and was brought up to speed on things, and learned some stuff that he promised he would not be able to implement. He has paid the price on some issues. Wire tapping is one that comes to mind.

Well, I should be shocked, but frankly, I'm not. I know we should give Obama a chance, but so far, he's just a typical politician. Lord help us if he turns out to be a waffle, like Kerry.
I just don't see the logic of not listening to your generals on the ground. I mean, their there to win the war, not the vote. And I think McChrystal knows a lot more about this kind of situation than did Westmorland in Vietnam, and that its not just a numbers game in this kind of war.
Amsel is right, though. We either have to go in all the way, or not go in at all. We can't do halfsies. It didn't work last time, and it sure won't work in now. God, I miss the days of Reagan and Truman.

Well, I should be shocked, but frankly, I'm not. I know we should give Obama a chance, but so far, he's just a typical politician. Lord help us if he turns out to be a waffle, like Kerry.
I just don't see the logic of not listening to your generals on the ground. I mean, their there to win the war, not the vote. And I think McChrystal knows a lot more about this kind of situation than did Westmorland in Vietnam, and that its not just a numbers game in this kind of war.
Amsel is right, though. We either have to go in all the way, or not go in at all. We can't do halfsies. It didn't work last time, and it sure won't work in now. God, I miss the days of Reagan and Truman.
Westmoreland knew that too. It was LBJ that wanted to stick to a "containment" policy.

But he is listening . the Ambassador to Afghanistan is Karl Eikenberry . this guy commanded the troops in Afghanistan up until 2007 he is now US ambassador to same and he is the one advising against a surge .

I can't help but think of these guys when I read the title of this thread.....sorry for the divergence, but one or two of these guys couldn't hurt!

Attachments

• spacemarine40k.jpg
    spacemarine40k.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 152

Users who are viewing this thread

Back