eBay: Chance Vought F4U Corsair (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01

Honourably banned
Mar 26, 2007
part 1

corsair_01.jpg
corsair_02.jpg
corsair_03.jpg
corsair_04.jpg
corsair_05.jpg

Last edited:
Some more great finds, snautzer01! In the first set of photos that Corsair would seem tobe from the Korean War era, correct? Lokking at the first 2 photos in part 1; there are 4 guns in the wings. Other shots of the F4U show 6 guns, I'm thinking these are WWII era.
I am making an assumption of the timeframe for the first 2 shots mostly based on the pilots headgear, but if this is around 1950-53 did these Corsairs keep the 50 cals as wing guns or did they switch to a 20 mm machine-cannon?
Thanks
Derek

Those are F4U-4Bs Derek, and you are correct, they are Korean War era. Originally, F4U-4s were equipped with the same armament as F4U-1s when they entered WWII at the very end. There's also claims that some F4U-4Bs did make it into World War II, but as far as I know they're unsubstantiated.

Great photos!

Actually Catch, I think those top pics are F4U-4C's. The 4 and 4B had the 6x50's (as you pointed out) and the only difference between the 4 and 4B was the 4B was the designation for the planes destined for use by the FAA.

Let me know if I'm mistaken....

Actually Catch, I think those top pics are F4U-4C's. The 4 and 4B had the 6x50's (as you pointed out) and the only difference between the 4 and 4B was the 4B was the designation for the planes destined for use by the FAA.

Let me know if I'm mistaken....

You're not mistaken at all, though they are -4Bs. There was a weird change in designation at some point between the wars and nobody's quite sure what happened other than that the FAA never received any F4U-4s. By Korea, all cannon armed -4s were designated Bs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back