CHEESE (with a little Wine and Beer thrown in)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I bought a Dutch Rembrandt just today. A little apple slice and I'm a happy man.

What are you gents paying for good cheese? I'm anywhere from $9.99 to $22.99 a pound. My Dutch Rembrandt was $14.99/lb

Not sure. I never buy it by the pound. Cheese is very very cheap over here though.

A few chunks of matured Tomme de Savoi, from the Savoi Region of the French Alps, with a nice bottle of Cote Du Rhone Villages.

Funny thing Airframes, my Wife went out to pick up some French Munester for the weekend (this is back on Friday) and she ended up comeback back with Tomme De Savoi instead. Fresh out of the Muenster and brough this back.

Either a small world or great taste buds eat alike.

What are you gents paying for good cheese? I'm anywhere from $9.99 to $22.99 a pound. My Dutch Rembrandt was $14.99/lb

Same here. ($10-$25) It's not commonly available either. Just some shops here and there. In Europe, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a cheese shop. Here, it's all linked in with a Deli or in a Supermarket. Horrible way to handle cheese.

Also, there are parts of this country where the cheese is still the big three and nothing else. Rural counties and down south are absolutely horrible for cheese. Don't even know what it is. Sent an Lb of Fontina to Florida once to some friends with the intention of eating it with them when I got there and arrive to find out they'd tossed it because they thought it was bad.

Of course it was, you twit! It's cheese!

Enough to make ya' weep.

Same here. ($10-$25) It's not commonly available either. Just some shops here and there. In Europe, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a cheese shop. Here, it's all linked in with a Deli or in a Supermarket. Horrible way to handle cheese.

I have two cheese/butcher shops here in my town alone and we only have 1 main street!

You walk inside and there are really hundreds of kinds of cheese in them. I love it!

I agree with you as well on the whole big 3 thing. I have found back in the states most people only eat or know Cheddar or Swiss. Which is a real shame. Don't take me wrong, I love a good Extra Sharp Cheddar as well, but there are so many more better tasting cheeses out there.

I have two cheese/butcher shops here in my town alone and we only have 1 main street!

You walk inside and there are really hundreds of kinds of cheese in them. I love it!

I agree with you as well on the whole big 3 thing. I have found back in the states most people only eat or know Cheddar or Swiss. Which is a real shame. Don't take me wrong, I love a good Extra Sharp Cheddar as well, but there are so many more better tasting cheeses out there.

Savages! I am a cheese lover in a nation of three cheese savages!

Once a year I have to fly back to the motherland of cheeses to get a fix and moral support for the coming year. Something of a camel in a cheese desert. In the words of Col Kurtz, "The horror....the horror".

Not quite europe but I've got about 5 shops within 5 miles , but a thing I've noticed is the number of US folks that cross to buy bread , at least on the niagara frontier there seem do be lack of bakeries in the US, nothing beats a loaf still warm from the oven

Not quite europe but I've got about 5 shops within 5 miles , but a thing I've noticed is the number of US folks that cross to buy bread , at least on the niagara frontier there seem do be lack of bakeries in the US, nothing beats a loaf still warm from the oven

One of the better times to put a soft cheese on bread is when the bread is still warm. The heat of the bread melts the cheese and the flavors meld. A really good one is Affinois. If the bread is cool or room temp, you can nuke the bread and cheese for about 10 seconds to get the same affect.

Fromager d'Affinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back