Chemical plant at Moerdijk exploded

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got Charcoal?

Google "Homemade Gas mask"

Stay safe!

Keep your windows shut. Doors too. Hope for a windy day.

Stay on the second floor. Most gas is heavier than air, sinks. Will probably be close to the ground, especially in cold weather.

Good luck.

Not sure what chemicals are burning. It was a factory that packs chemicals for other parties. Latest news is that the fire is still expanding. the factories next to it caught fire as well. Good news is that they haven't measured any dangerous chemicals in the air as yet. Here at my place at about 8 miles I haven't yet noticed anything, but many people in the neighbourhood claimed to have smelled an aceton-like odor. For your info, I live in Dordrecht.
From the pictures it looks like a hell of a spectacle:
brand Moerdijk - Fotoalbums - bndestem

Last edited:
Thanks evan, carcinogenic covers a lot of ground. Flames could be good (destroying material) or bad (changing into gases or small particles) no way to tell until more info is released.
Hard to even advise someone on what to do

if there are firefighters that close without auxillary air then if shouldnt be that noxious....might not still be great to breath but not like bhopal india in 84. firefighters are usually well trained in hazmat emergencies so you should be ok....a day trip somewhere might not be a bad idea either.

if there are firefighters that close without auxillary air then if shouldnt be that noxious....might not still be great to breath but not like bhopal india in 84. firefighters are usually well trained in hazmat emergencies so you should be ok....a day trip somewhere might not be a bad idea either.

It's evening here, Bobby. I'm not too worried now. Just started to rain a little, bad news for Moerdijk, but better for us.
BTW, the building contained a stock of K 13-004 (http://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/summary/summary.cgi?cid=126000)

Last edited:
In 10 minutes they will start what they call a "major attack". There will be a major smoke development for about 2 hours. Everyone is advices to keep windows and doors closed and not go out in the open. The attack is necessary because a major waste processing factory is next to the fire and is threatened. Further more the weather is worsening.
Major roads are closed in my area and trains will not go. So no way to get out of here. We'll just sit tight.
Still not smelled anything, so I'm still not very much worried.

Last edited:
Echoing the above, stay safe!

One would think that rain would help the matter, wouldn't it? Help keep the fires from spreading?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back