Chewing the cud

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Readie

Chief Master Sergeant
Apr 15, 2011
Plymouth, England
Anyone interested in a chewing the cud email circle of friends?
Matt is right that this isn't right place to discuss politics and life in general.
If you want to join in please email me [email protected]
Cheers
John

Last edited:
Ruminants .... animals that graze and have two stomachs and can recall food from stomach one (cud) for more chewing and processing ... aka cattle and such like.

MM

That is why I won't involve myself.

I enjoy these kind of discussions, but not over the internet, where words can be misinterpreted. Now if you want to sit down in a bar over a few beers, I am all in...;)

Okay, Lucky. I'll match ya. Right up the street. In back of the 7-11. Old English 40 ouncers and we can share some cheese whiz nachos with pickled jalapenos. I even think I can rummage up a couple of napkins.

Chewing cud? Can someone explain to a non-native?

Marcel, Just an expression which means having a chat/discussion/talking things through.

Chew the cud

Origin

Alternative versions of this are 'chew the fat', 'chew the rag' etc. Cud is the part digested food that ruminant animals, notably cows, bring back into their mouths from their first stomach, to chew at leisure. The image is of slow and aimless mastication and the allusive use of the phrase refers to that.

In its literal sense there are references to chewing the cud' going back to Aelfric, 'De veteri et de novo testamento', circa 1000. The first recorded use of it in the allusive 'chatting' sense is in Henry Fielding's The History of Tom Jones, 1749:

"Having left her a little while to chew the cud, if I may use that expression, on these first tidings."

American fluid ounces had me confused when I tried to measure out the gearbox oil in my Harley...
I'm still not entirely convinced that I got it right...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back