Cheyenne Modification Center Photos - B-17s (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert Porter

Senior Master Sergeant
I have gathered over 100 photos of B-17's being modified at the Cheyenne Modification Center. You are probably familiar with the term "Cheyenne Tail" for certain B-17's. It was here that the modifications to the tail section was completed. I could not figure out how to upload this many pictures so I am posting a link to the album here. These pictures were from Life Magazine.

View: http://imgur.com/a/ivVfY

Enjoy! Lots of great interior shots for detail.

Hey! That mod facility was the United Air Lines Maintenance Center. It was scheduled to be moved to San Francisco (SFO) in 1942 but the war upset those plans. The Cheyenne tail for the B-17 was, I've been told, designed and prototyped by UAL engineers (under Boeing supervision) at the facility. We have a drop hammer at SFO that made the trek west in the late forties that looks exactly like the one shown in one of these photos. If it's the same one it was made in 1926. Since Continental management took UAL over (merger my butt) that hammer has largely gone dormant, it's sad to see skills and capabilities being tossed aside. At least there are a few of us who refuse to give up the English Wheel. Sorry about the ranting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back