Chino or Oshkosh?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey guys,

My family is trying to decide which air show to go to next summer, Chino or Oshkosh. From the people who have been to one or both, which is the better show?

Thanks.

Tough call. They are both good. Chino is two days of flying, almost entirely warbirds. OshKosh has a mix of warbirds, home-builts and a number of other things that runs 7 days. For those who don't have the aviation geekiness that we all do, 7 days is a bit much. OshKosh is huge too.

Yup...tough call !

Lets see...hmmmm...theres a little show with upwards of 17000 (seventeen thousand) planes and 800,000 peeps or one full of Warbirds !

I've done Osh twice, on each occasion for the full duration, and have probably only seen less than a half of it alltogether. You will see around 700 plus Warbirds but that include the trainers as well. Airshow each afternoon, seminars, stalls, aero boot and you will walk bl**dy miles !

Chino I cant help on as its on my 'to do' list. Whatever way you decide to go, you will have a real blast mate !

If you're into JUST warbirds - Chino. If you're into aviation across the board - Oshkosh. As far as shear size and events, Oshkosh makes Chino look like a single rivet on the side of a B-17!

Yup...still rubbing.

Of course, if it was me trying to decide where to go....I'd go Oshkosh...and wear Chino's ! :lol:....I'll get me coat :D

Hi Catch,

Been going to Oshkosh for the last 15 years, and will be going again this year. If you have any questions let me know and I will try and answer them. Never been to Chino.

All the best
Paul

Hi Paul,

I guess my big concern is I'm more of a warbird guy who's also interested in some modern military stuff, so what kind of warbirds/roughly how many show up to Oshkosh? Thanks.

Hi Catch,

Each year is different but this link is a very basic link of some of the stuff that shows up, Ive seen F-15, F-16's, Phantoms, F-86's, F-14's, YF-22 Rapors and the likes show up, each day is something different as since the airshow is 7 days long new things fly in and other stuff fly out to make room. Ive seen transports of all types from C5 Galixy to the refuelers. I beleive the largest blimp in the world is suppose to show up from Europe. The latest Boeing aircraft is suppose to come on Friday and leave Saturday. Every thing from sea planes to civilian planes to military aircraft to helicopters come, usually around 10,000 to 15,000 aircraft show up each year and the main reason why you will never see every thing as every thing changes from day to day.

http://www.airventure.org/attractions/aircraft.html

Feel free to ask more :)

All the best
Paul

Thank Paul! That helps a lot. Looks like I've got quite the decision ahead of me!

The other big thing Catch is are you thinking of camping or staying in a motel. Right now with EAA only 4 weeks away Im not sure if you could get a motel close any ways. How many in your family? Maybe we can work something out. Oh and by the way EAA now has a Saturday night airshow as well where they strap on fireworks on to planes and shoot them off in the air while the planes do stunts in the dark :)

All the best
Paul

Thanks Paul. This wouldn't be until next year, as my dad would have to get the time off, and we have to save up a bit. We would be in a motel if we were to go, due to medical reasons.

Too bad, well if you decide next year let me know. Im hoping to get confermation but EAA has been hinting in a few letters that next year they may get the Space shuttle on the back of a 747. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back