Chocks away for garden Spitfire (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
Dr Hamish MacLeod has built a full size replica of a Spitfire in his garden at Moffat in Dumfries and Galloway

A retired doctor has built a replica of a Spitfire fighter in the front garden of his home.

Former GP Hamish MacLeod had the model delivered in sections to his house in Moffat, in Dumfries and Galloway.

Dr Macleod, who has had a life-long passion for the iconic World War II fighter, then put it together with the help of friends.

He said he was delighted to have "the most fabulous looking aircraft ever" taking pride of place on his lawn.

He took delivery of the parts for his garden model last week, and it has already proved to be a popular attraction in the town.

Dr MacLeod said: "The neighbours think it is fabulous and a lot of people were coming around when I was building it.

"I'm happy to talk planes and cars for as long as people like, but I'm not putting it here as a showpiece."

Dr MacLeod intends to leave the model Spitfire to the people of Moffat, a town with close links to the aircraft.

Air Chief Marshal Hugh Dowding - credited with masterminding the Battle of Britain - was born in the town.

Every year a special service, including a Spitfire flypast, is held in his honour.

Largest memorial

Dr MacLeod hopes the replica can be sited at Dowding House in Moffat's Well Street, which remains the largest memorial to Dowding.

He said: "Because of the connection with Dowding, there should be a Spitfire in Moffat.

"This is my way of saying thank you to the people of Moffat for giving me such fabulous support during my career.

"It just seems to make a lot of sense."

More than 10 years ago Dr MacLeod got the chance to fly one of the famous fighters.

The former pilot officer was taking a refresher course on night flying in Florida when the opportunity arose.

He explained: "I heard the fantastic sound of that Merlin engine and hopped on a bike in search of it.

"There were all these fabulous Spitfires being restored on the airbase."

A one-day "insurance window" was arranged to allow Dr MacLeod to fly the plane which he described as an "unbelievable" experience.

"I had the controls from start to finish," he said.

"We did all sorts of things - the Spitfire is so aerobatic.

He added: "It is so iconic, the most fabulous looking aircraft ever, hugely beautiful. I just feel a huge love for the aircraft and to have this copy of one I actually flew is so special."

Attachments

• _45563242_spitfire895gh.jpg
    _45563242_spitfire895gh.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 225
The replica Spitfire is still in the doctor's garden, I'm staying in Moffat right now and took this photo yesterday. Not sure what Mk.... I'm guessing a Mkllb.

I took the other photo of the fly past on "Dowding Day" last Sunday (13th). Not a very good photo, I only had the cheapo camera I use when in Bangkok and Manila

Also completed a Spitfire design for the Dumfries Galloway Aviation Museum on the same day. They have a Mklla of 312 (Czech) sqauadron being restored after being brought up from Loch Doon after crashing in WW2

Attachments

• 0_0506A.JPG
    0_0506A.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 0_0509A.JPG
    0_0509A.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 179
  • SPIT2A_2.JPG
    SPIT2A_2.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 194
Nice pics Wingnuts - it's a MkIX.
Shouldn't need Planning permission, as it's not a permanent structure - maybe classed as a garden ornament?!!

Ha, when I'm mowing the lawn it's a pain cutting around the kids' climbing frame contraption - can't imagine having to work my way round a Spit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back