CLASSIC AIRFRAMES 1/48th BLENHEIM BUILD (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ian lanc

Senior Airman
Sep 30, 2007
mansfield, nottinghamshire
hi all,
i've been wanting a blenheim now for about 2 yrs and now its begun.
the fit of this model is alot better than the FM hampden, all though it's not fault free !.
you have to be very careful in the construction of it as there are a few mistakes in the build sheets as to where parts go this applies to the front cockpit/seat/ table, on a review of this kit it said about the rear gun mount is a good fit and won't require any fillering, there is !! have a look at picture 3 :!:

there is alot of resin parts which are a bit distorted but when they are together it can't be seen so i'm not messing about trying to straighten them :mad:

the under carriage is very difficult to build up if any one builds this don't follow the instructions,but build them up as one whole thing then put the undercarraige into the wheel well,

link to review...

Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV/IVF Review by Brett Green (Classic Airframes 1/48)

any way here go's.....

for anyone that does not know what a blenheim is :rolleyes:

some fillering is needed here, the rest of the fuselage is a good fit.

rear gun mount a mixture of resin and plastic,turret cannot rotate :confused:

plasti card inserted into the so called no gaps at all review !

side walls had to be thinned down a hell of a lot so it will fit into cockpit area.

rear shelf had to be trimmed down, too wide to fit into the fuselage.

the side walls where twice as thick as what you see now,lots of dry fitting required.

use the wheel well as a jig to hold the little parts.

there are six parts to each undercarraige,all with NO mounting holes :shock:

when the undercarraige is complete put it into the wheel well, beware here there are no mounting holes for the supports :| and the put the whole thing into the wing and glue down the resin with cyo glue

rear tailplanes made up, these were a good fit.

engines are resin and require 9 exhaust collectors fitting to all the cylinders which point towards cowling, this is going to be fun !.

the props are going to be a nightmare to align up straight :twisted:

more to follow :!: ...ian.

Looking forward to seeing this finished Ian. I've enjoyed your RAF bomber models, especially your Hampden. Next you need to make a Beaufort - in RAAF colours of course!:)

Do you plane on building the props on a jig or are you gonna eyeball it?

hi t/thud,

i was going to align them up by eye sight only :shock: , **but if anybody has got a way of putting props together by means of a jig, i'm all ears** :idea:

as to other answers to what i'm going to make next !, i've set my sights on making every bomber command 'bomber' had in RAF/RAAF in 1/48 scale :shock: :shock: , tall order i know :oops: .

...ian.

building this model is quite enjoyable compared to some other limited run kits i've done in the past, heres a few more pic's of the blenheim so far........

there are sink holes on both sides of the nose, these have now been filled.

some very careful glueing of the two halves needed here one slip, bang its ruined :evil:

the navigators table has been repositioned three times before i got it right and the resin sides had to be broken and re-aligned :rolleyes:

nice veiw from the back :cool: , it's a tight fit in there.

test fitting nose to fuselage, looks like there won't be any fit issues here.

fillered and sanded the rear turret ring, looks a bit neater now :confused:

pilots glass area needed alot of test fitting and cleaning, before it sat correctly.

engine fairings now on also drilled out the resin pieces for the props to go on.

engine covers where a good fit, unlike the hampden which where oval !

my evidence of hand brushing :lol:

made up the props, i thought this was going to be hard in aligning them up but it was very simple to do.........

the finished props :rolleyes:

painted the wheels silver with a hint of smoke onto them to give it a worn look, tyres are painted in dark grey,i've flattened the tyres !, resin gun cleaned and painted up the vac' formed part is the rear ward facing gun which will be going underneath the navigators position.

been painting the wings/ nose this week, the nose piece needed a far bit of fillering to get it all to align up straight, but got there in the end.
on one of the wings there is a deep sink mark, this had to be filled which can be sen on the second pic'.

still going together quite pleasingly :D

i was going to cut open the landing light and scratch build a new one, but i put some foil in instead looks OK.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back