'Clipped' F-8 Crusader (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Graeme

1st Sergeant
May 31, 2007
In an aged (March 1961) issue of 'Flying Review' there is a small grainy photo of an F-8 Crusader landing (according to the caption) with its wings folded at Capodidchino. The photo was taken by a German reader "who was on the spot with his camera". The caption points out that this particular Crusader successfully took off and landed with its wings in the folded position.
The 'full' story was told in an earlier edition, January 1961, which of course I have never seen.
Can anyone provide more details? Is it really possible?
The magazine occasionally played jokes on readers but it wasn't April yet.

new one to me. Landed on a carrier? I doubt it. Certainly a land feat.

I didn't realize that the wing locks would sustain the flight lateral flight loads associated with the folded position. That would be impressive. And the landing speed must have been phenomenal if true.

I dont think the wings would have generated the lift required for it to take off.

And the drag associated with the wings up would be huge.

Not to mention they would act like gigantic rudders and make the plane impossible to maneuver.

I'd say its "probabilty zero".

The ailerons on a Crusader are inbord of the wing fold ,therefore all control surfaces are active even with the wings folded..This type of flight is not adviasble but has happened more than once.
Another interesting first for the Crusader is it was the first aircraft to shoot itself down.The prototype F8U-3 injested spent shell casings when it fired its cannons which led to engine failure and crash."Crusader,last of the gunfighters."
ed

The poor quality photo.

Shot at 2007-06-23

At an airfield somewhere near Naples.

The ailerons on a Crusader are inbord of the wing fold ,therefore all control surfaces are active even with the wings folded..This type of flight is not adviasble but has happened more than once.
Another interesting first for the Crusader is it was the first aircraft to shoot itself down.The prototype F8U-3 injested spent shell casings when it fired its cannons which led to engine failure and crash."Crusader,last of the gunfighters." ed

I agree! During my "extended" career in the USN I heard of this happening at least twice.

The prototype F8U-3 injested spent shell casings when it fired its cannons which led to engine failure and crash
ed

I thought that honor went to a Spanish Starfighter or Hun that fired it's 20MM and then flew into them a short time later.

Not sure which of the aircraft it was, but I am sure it was a Spanish bird going very fast.

Years and years ago I heard this also happened with a Corsair. Took off
with the wings folded, but crashed trying to land. Don't know about the
accuracy of the story, tho.

Charles

Running into the 20mm shells? Dang! Love those Starfighters and their rebellious high speeds without swept wings.

Yes, it is true.

From Wikipedia:

However, the aircraft did possess some amazing capabilities, as proven when several hapless Crusader pilots took off from Da Nang with the wings folded. The Crusader was capable of flying in this state, though the pilot would be required to lose weight by ejecting stores and fuel, and then return to the carrier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back