Clipper Flying Boats Artwork

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ColesAircraft

Airman 1st Class
Over the past week I managed to complete these pieces, one for a client and the other because I liked how the former was coming along. Both a/c were utilized by the military in WWII, though they became more famous as long range transoceanic commercial airliners for Pan Am.

The Boeing 314 Yankee Clipper was painted as a commission, but I pretty much had the freedom to do what I wanted with the composition.

The Martin M-130 China Clipper was my own project: I wanted to celebrate the technology and advances of America in the 1930s, hence the Manhattan skyline.

A-M130-1.jpg

A-M130-2.jpg

A-Clipper-1.jpg

Nice work. I particularly like the bottom one; very atmospheric Pacific Island vista. As an aside, the Boeing 314 California Clipper, renamed Pacific Clipper became the first commercial aeroplane to fly round the world. Departing from California on 2 December, it was en route to Auckland, New Zealand at the time Pearl Harbor was bombed (8 December local time), returning to New York on 6 January 1942.

Thanks for the comps and comments! :) It's interesting to me that the Boeing seems to be more popular than the Martin, as the Martin was painted with the experience gleaned from the Boeing and I think it's a better piece. But I'm terrible at judging my own work. My favorite piece of mine has actually been one of my worst sellers!

If anyone's willing to tell me: I'd like to hear which is your favorite of these two and why. That would help me in my future work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back