Cockpits ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mar 2, 2007
Im not sure if this is the correct place to post this thread but im sure the senior members will soon correct me if its not.
Im hoping if possable to get intouch with other like minded fools, who build instrument panels and hopefully swap ideas, technics and maybe parts as well.

My project is building a complete and as far as possable main instrument panel from a mk111 lancaster sounds impossable but so far its going well.
From all the clocks and meters ive managed to be able to get my hands on 5 of the blind flying panel i just need the Slip and Turn meter to complete and from the other 10 or so auxillary clocks, rev counters boost gauges ect ive got 2 out of 10.most of the parts im buying through ebay world wide, the Altimeter for example came from canada and the engine starter push buttons came from Australia.All the Aluminium will be made as per from the original A.V Roe factory blueprints by myself. In a way im lucky alot of the parts were used on the majority of British Aircraft at this time so there is an abundance.The thing i am lacking is an insight to the older engineering methods of manufactur, alot of these skills are being lost.
Even the simple things like how to drill a round hole through a piece of 3 mm thick aluminium without
1) making a triangle... when the drill shoots through
2)Spending hours looking under the work bench finding that one part you were drilling had shot out of the vice at light speed and disappeared literally in a cloud of dust.
Ill post pics now and then and hopefully be able to get a group going that can exchange ideas ect.

Even the simple things like how to drill a round hole through a piece of 3 mm thick aluminium without
1) making a triangle... when the drill shoots through
2)Spending hours looking under the work bench finding that one part you were drilling had shot out of the vice at light speed and disappeared literally in a cloud of dust.
Ill post pics now and then and hopefully be able to get a group going that can exchange ideas ect.

This is from a homebuilder's site, it might give you some ideas on how to construct your instrument panel.

Instrument Panel

You also could use a fly cutter for this...

panel001.jpg

Hoi Marcel.
Ja dat lijk mij leuk marcel, ik bel wel handig in metal maar toch het is heel anders dan wat ik ben gevend op. groetjes andy

Hiyas Flyboy, been to the site yep this has ideas about the big holes.What im having trouble with is the smaller stuff, ive added a few pics so you can see what i mean.The first is the panel the second the small plate for the switches, next is the I.F.F self destruct button cover and finally with what i made.My problem is bending, riveting and the simple stuff. the accual panel will be made by CNC :)... yes i cheat ! lol
last but not least some of my collection of gauges.greetings andy

Attachments

• cockpitpanel.jpg
    cockpitpanel.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 625
  • panel7.jpg
    panel7.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 630
  • panel8.jpg
    panel8.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 631
  • warningplate.jpg
    warningplate.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 608
  • gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 607
Hiyas Flyboy, been to the site yep this has ideas about the big holes.What im having trouble with is the smaller stuff, ive added a few pics so you can see what i mean.The first is the panel the second the small plate for the switches, next is the I.F.F self destruct button cover and finally with what i made.My problem is bending, riveting and the simple stuff. the accual panel will be made by CNC :)... yes i cheat ! lol
last but not least some of my collection of gauges.greetings andy
I see - Hey, the CNC machine is the way to go - as far as small stuff - have you looked into drilling out the profile shape with a very small drill and then coming back and filing the shape after the hole material is removed? It's time consuming but it works. Also are you using a Dremmel Tool?

circle2.JPG

As far as small bends - I would work with "O" material and then have it heat treated. Again hope this helps.

Thanks flyboy !.. ill be investing in a fly cutter i just worked it out by the smaller holes and file method ill be finished by the time im 80 i think .. he he he im joking :) ill keep this thread posted of updates :)

Gaget that is a fantastic site !!! thanks very much :)

This one im pround of, A Mk1 A direction indicator fully working dated 1939. it cost me .. 0.80 eurocents or about the same in US cents it was stripped down cleaned inside and out , repainted and had new glass fitted.A before and after shot

Attachments

• clock.jpg
    clock.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 536
  • clock2.jpg
    clock2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 532
Many holes are 56 mm or 79 mm, drills not usually found on anyplace.

What we do here is designing a panel in autocad and then take it to be laser-cut on a dedicated shop.

Yep both are options ive used the bi metals before but ive noticed then tend to rip the sides of this type of aluminium.\, and yes laser cutting is an option as well, its just by the time ive spent making a cad cam drawing i could make the thing. Weve now got a colum drill with the head reversed and this is bolted on the the panel through holes weve allreadt cut.. nice and stable and nice and cheap with a fly cutter in !

Hi,
Both panels posted before...109 panel wasn't finished though, now it is. For the 109 panel I had to resolve for a few repro items (landing gear indicator and switches/ fuel level warning light and the ammunition counter) as the originals are super rare and if they are offered of the scale regarding the price. I too made Autocad drawings and went to a cutting shop. Works okay....did made the holes a little smaller and adjusted then by hand for a cleaner fit.

Am doing a Spitfire panel too but that one is far from finished.

Cheers,
Sander

Attachments

• Panel_01-09-2011_small.jpg
    Panel_01-09-2011_small.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 99
  • P-47D_panel_small.jpg
    P-47D_panel_small.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 83

Users who are viewing this thread

Back