College

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Well, after many years of being under the wings of my parents lifes been becoming more and more real to me. Looking at colleges, job, and applying to schools makes everything seem so much more real.

Planning on studying Criminology and want to become something in law enforcement (not sure what area yet)....Been looking at schools in Upstate NY, New England, and Canada.....going to be a busy few months of school while Im applying and all.

What schools did you guys go to for college?

School of Hard Knocks. High School drop-out with experience to clean kennels but that experience allowed me to be certified as an Animal Control Officer which led to getting a job in Gubberment and......here I am, stuck wit youse guys!

Get all the education you can, Harrison. You'll need it when you get older!

Right you are Chris. In the '70's, I could quit one camp on a Friday and fly into another one on Monday(did that way too often). Never going to happen now. B-17 seems to be going in the right direction...always need law.

Geo

Life! ;)
Didn't know what do when I was......younger (shut up!), so I just jumped on a two year class for car painting etc., still did all the classes besides the usual sanding, filling, painting, a constant high (will you just shut it?!), which still seem to be hanging on to me... At least, when everything is sorted, I can paint my own restored '68 Hemi Charger, hot rod or custom, should save a few bob! :lol:

Hang on here, I thought this place was a college, university!! :shock:

Best of luck H, can never learn too much mate!

Good luck Harrison, getting a degree in this day and age is the way to go. My wife is an RN with a Bachelor in Nursing and certificates in management and training assessments. Smart woman, gets well paying jobs with ease and because she specialized in aged care, she's at the point were other organisations try and "poach" her. She's only 29. Me on the other hand joined the Army straight out of high school, I don't regret it nor would I do it differently, but being qualified in SAM and radar systems isn't exactly beneficial on civvy street! Saying that though, the fact I was in the Army is well looked upon by a lot of employers.

Take the opportunity Harrison and get the best/ highest grade you can.
Higher education is never wasted and you can always try other jobs along the way.

When I went to Southern Illinois University I had a room mate for a couple of years that majored Administration of Justice there, but I don't really know if their program is outstanding enough to make it worth the long trip for you Harrison.

Ever thought about pursuing a job with the FBI? That was always a dream of mine. Wished I had pursued it.

Instead I worked my way through college. Went to Northern Kentucky University, Highline Community College and Green River Community College. The latter two at the same time (worked at UPS at night). Graduated from Seattle University Magna *** Laude with a BS in Electrical Engineering and minors in Physics and Computer Science (now called software engineering).

If you have the opportunity to go to college without having to work during the school year, treat it like a full time job and bust your backside to get the best grades you possibly can. Don't squander such an wonderful opportunity. And whatever you do, get a degree that is marketable. Criminology is a good choice. But philosophy, history, journalism, communications and english (while certainly worthwhile pursuits) are an absolute waste of money at university. Pursue the liberal arts after you have established a good job and you have some leisure time to kill. We have a crisis in America because too many young folks are now saddled in debt because they did not heed those last two sentences.

University of Illinois (Pre-Med); Nam University School of Hard Knocks; Western Illinois University (B.S. Chemistry/Physics); University of Illinois (M.S. Chemistry); Northern Illinois University (Post-Grad Physics)

Take the opportunity and make the most of it Harrison. Still going strong in University myself, feels like it never ends...

On the second degree now but basically guaranteed a job at the end of this one. Full list below...

University of St Andrews - BSc Human Biology (+ BSc Human Physiology for 1 semester at the University of Pretoria) - Pre-Med
Swansea University - Medicine

Just a thought B-17. I'm not sure how it works in the U.S.. My nephew wants to be a dentist, so he's joining the Canadian Army to get it. Once he becomes a dentist, he serves 5 years in military and then he is free to pursue a civilian practice, debt free. Just curious if there is something like that for law enforcement in the US.

Geo

Ever thought about pursuing a job with the FBI? That was always a dream of mine. Wished I had pursued it.

Instead I worked my way through college. Went to Northern Kentucky University, Highline Community College and Green River Community College. The latter two at the same time (worked at UPS at night). Graduated from Seattle University Magna *** Laude with a BS in Electrical Engineering and minors in Physics and Computer Science (now called software engineering).

If you have the opportunity to go to college without having to work during the school year, treat it like a full time job and bust your backside to get the best grades you possibly can. Don't squander such an wonderful opportunity. And whatever you do, get a degree that is marketable. Criminology is a good choice. But philosophy, history, journalism, communications and english (while certainly worthwhile pursuits) are an absolute waste of money at university. Pursue the liberal arts after you have established a good job and you have some leisure time to kill. We have a crisis in America because too many young folks are now saddled in debt because they did not heed those last two sentences.

To be honest Matt its strongly being considered. Im a little young so my dad suggested becoming a cop for short while and then joining the FBI or at least going through the academy. What ever I do I don't want it to be a 9-5 Desk Job though

Also, Geo when I visited a few schools in Canada they have something similar but you have to be a cop in a remote area for 5 years somewhere in canada and they reimburse your schooling cost

I did not know you could come from out of the country and join the RCMP. Interesting. My cousin's husband served in the RCMP(ERT) and he said that when you served in the North, it equalled double time served, 5yrs become 10, etc.

Geo

If you are seriously thinking about it, then as your college electives take lots of classes related to constitutional law and historical background. Will pay dividends if you seeking an FBI position based upon your criminology degree. I took a single course at Northern Kentucky University on crime scene forensics and I was fascinated. I can't imagine taking more in depth courses on human psychology, ballistics, regional sociology and pathology. All sounds like fun stuff. And the FBI hires everything from engineers, to investigators to computer software geeks. Hell even model makers!! Remember that FBI raid on that underground bunker, they built a model of that, trained on it and then did their successful breaching work. Fun stuff!!

Good luck! I am still in College (a Sophomore) attending Ashland University and majoring in lies (Political Science)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back