Colour Boston footage.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Excellent find Mate, great stuff! Thanks for posting.
The You - Tube title said RCAF Bostons, but there weren't any RCAF Sqns with Bostons in the Middle East. Like you, I thought SAAF, but I checked Squadrons of the RAF and Commonwealth etc, and it looks like they are almost certainly from 114 Sqn., R.A.F., based at Gela, Sicily. The airfield background, and the terrain at the target would seem to bear this out. Plus, one of the aircraft shown, coded 'S', is listed as a 114 Sqn. aircraft. That would put the period between March 1943 and July 1944, when the squadron were at Gela, southern Sicily, the airfield once used by JG26 ! They changed to Boston IV's and V's in July and Jan '44 and '45 respectively.
Thanks again mate, good to see some out of the ordinary footage.
Terry.

Thanks for that, Flyboy 2 ! I've got the full version on VHS, but nice to see it again. In case people didn't notice, there's a fairly rare bird in that footage, shown again, just before the end. One of the F.P.U Mossies, with the extra windows behind the the bomb-aimers 'blister'.
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back