Computers these days...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Konigstiger205

Staff Sergeant
Mar 20, 2007
Bucharest
About a week ago my computer dropped dead...it was the motherboard.After a week of saving money I managed to get enough to buy a new one.Friday I did and when I got home the fun started.First it took about an hour and a half to install the damn thing.After finally managed o solve the hardware work I bravely adventured into the software jungle.After finally installing Windows and the necessary drivers for the motherboard I got one hell of a surprise...the audio jack doesn't work and I have no sound.Oh and I almost forgot that for some unknown reason the motherboard doesn't support my graphics card so I have to use an old one.But its ok its not like I'm a student with no job and a college to pay...:(

Damn that sucks dude.

My old computer just stopped working with the interent a month back. I spent nearly 3 weeks on the phone to SO CALLED customer help. I was fuming.
Went out and bought a new computer and yet more problems, I didn eventually get back online.

I still dont know what went wrong with my computer!

Oh and student status sucks...I know!

It doesn't worth to actually call "customer care"...it sucks and most of the times its useless...

Bigpond by any chance Heinz? I've actually had Bigpond Technical Support hang up on me because I questioned their instructions!

Nah Iprimus actually.

However they hung up on me I think it was three times. In the end we asked if someone from Australia could help. They took as we were being racist but really the phone line from India is so poor you can barely hear anyone. They also accused us of lying saying we hadn;t made so many calls etc....

In the end 10minutes on the phone with a guy from Sydney and funnily enough my net worked again. oh the horror........

Sorry to hear about your problems chaps... Tell me, is there ANYTHING that makes you panic, break out in cold sweat, feel like you live in 1800's, etc... like when you're without your computer and/or internet connection??

I have 2 PCs running. One is not internet connected so I atleast can still work. But if mine goes I just go to the rehab PC store and buy another for a few hundred. They're close for tech support and usually have a better warranty than the big stores.

Well usually its better to know how to fix yourself your pc...you save a lot of time and money.

I have been having problems with my computer as well but I bought it back in 2003.

I just ordered a new computer yesterday from Dell. Hopefully it will ship out soon after they make it so that I can get it set up here at home. Nothing crazy though since I am not a gamer or anything but it is still a good computer with:

Intel Core 2 Quad Processer
3 GB DDR2 SDRAM
20 Inch Digital Flat Screen Monitor
GeForce 8300GS Video Card
500GB Hard Drive
16X DVD/CD + RW DRIVE

Not bad and I got it for a good price as well.

Vista

I am not a big fan of Vista but eventually all programs are going to run off of Vista anyhow. You allready have to pay extra to download XP products online.

I also bought myself a new motherboard yesterday, payed £128 for it.

Now I just need help installing the thing, but hey how hard can it be ?? :D

Actually Chris, they have extended the XP support because of Vista's unpopularity. There is another Windows beyond Vista that will be Unix based and that one may finally do it right. Because I had to pick up a machine in a hurry after my last one went up in smoke, I bought a cheap PC with XP. My next machine will be a MAC.

I also bought myself a new motherboard yesterday, payed £128 for it.

Now I just need help installing the thing, but hey how hard can it be ?? :D

Thats what I said before spending an hour and a half installing the damn thing...:lol:

My next machine will be a MAC.

Chris:
In your business, I can understand a Mac. My wife works for two printers,
and both use Mac's. However, for a home computer a Mac sucks ! So many
of the normal everyday programs will not work under a Mac environment. I
have a friend in Laytonville, CA who got a Mac because (1) she used one at
work (a Japanese maple nursery), and (2) she got a good deal on it. I
cannot send her a photo as an attachment.... she can't open it. She complains
that all her other software won't work. I repeat, for home use, a Mac sucks...

FYI, I've been building my own computers since the days of the 286 and 386.

Charles

Bought my computer last year, dual core, 2 gb RAM, 400 GB HD, Geforce 7600 and Windows Vista. No problem with Vista whatsoever after initial problems in the first few weeks. Problems like firewall not working with Vista etc. Solved after the manufacturers of the software finally caught up with Vista.

Vista is fine, the only thing that annoys me is that it takes 16 GB HD space, while XP took 2 GB and it hardly does anything more than XP.

How much did you payed for it Adler?

Just over $800 for the Computer, 20in Flat Screen, keyboard and mouse. Not bad really. It was actually over $1000 but they knocked $260 off the price.

evangilder said:
Actually Chris, they have extended the XP support because of Vista's unpopularity. There is another Windows beyond Vista that will be Unix based and that one may finally do it right. Because I had to pick up a machine in a hurry after my last one went up in smoke, I bought a cheap PC with XP. My next machine will be a MAC.

I am not too worried about it. Everyone I know who uses Vista is actually satisfied with it. They said there were problems at first, but honestly what new programs dont have problems at first.

Actually thats pretty good compared to the prices here :D.Well I found out another thing about my brand new motherboard...it appears that most agp graphics card are not supported so now I have to get money to get a pci express card :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back