Concrete Glider (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Velius

Airman 1st Class
Sep 4, 2007
Central Texas
For those that watch Mythbusters, there was an episode (episode 66) where they experimented in making a concrete glider. Unfortunatley I don't have cable so I couldn't see this :(:( :(

When I searched online to find a video clip (which BTW I had no luck in) I happened to stumble upon a page that says:

"Also, an expert noted that making a glider out of concrete is possible and that the Germans experimented with the idea during World War II." (MythBusters Episode 66: "Concrete Glider")

I tried finding evidence or documentation of such experiments and couldn't find anything. Can anyone help me out here?
Thanks!8)

I don't know of one and me doing a search for 1 minute couldn't find anything. However, the results of the mythbuster's experiment was it was plausible, but very dangerous. Adam's glider flew for 34 feet but Jamie's took a nose dive.

If concrete ships can float, why can't concrete gliders fly ?

I missed that episode, too. But I did see the one about the
lead balloon.

Charles

Blohm Voss BV 246 Glide Bomb Luft '46 Entry

That would be this, the Blohm and Voss 246 glide bomb. Steel reinforced concrete was used because it was cheap and easy to manufacture. It would glide but is worse off than using wood or say aluminium when regards to weight. Also concrete cracking in weather extremes might be a problem.

It was found a plausible, but I doubt it was ever pursued much past the experimental stage.

And for the record, not only can Concrete gliders fly and Concrete ships float, but also, Concrete cars can drive! One of my favourite pieces of Canadian trivia. Those crazy east-coasters and their concrete cars... ;)

There are two steel (IIRC) reinforcement bars down the middle of the wing acting as spars. Then the concrete is cast around them by injecting it whilst fluid into the die. The concrete then hardens and is machined to get smoother surface finish.

Theres currently a lot of research into concrete submersibles as concrete has very high compressive strength.

I'm getting the impression that the wings are solid. I can't help but think that such wings could crack easily, reinforced or not. I wonder if such an idea was considered for piloted aircraft or just for unmanned gliders?

The wings are completely solid, made from cast concrete. Its ok for an expendable glide bomber that just needs to fall from the sky in an inexpensive way. For a reusable piloted aircraft, concrete is a really really bad choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back