Conflicting information on B-24D "Lady Be Good"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wirbelwind

Airman
Sep 8, 2009
Nearly every resource I've seen so far, including Joe Baugher's USAF serials list, tells me that the B-24D "Lady Be Good" (41-24301) was a B-24D-25-CO, however in the book Hidden Warbirds by Nick Veronico (screenshot of the page attached), the same aircraft is listed as B-24D-CO. Does anyone know why this is? As far as I know, there's no such variant.

Source: Hidden Warbirds

Thanks,
Max

Attachments

• lbg-page.png
    lbg-page.png
    72.2 KB · Views: 165
The serial number defines the aircraft as a Block 25 San Diego built B-24D, or B-24D-25-CO. Consult Al Blue's definitive "The B-24 Liberator" for production blocks. "Hidden Warbirds" is simply incorrect.

The serial number defines the aircraft as a Block 25 San Diego built B-24D, or B-24D-25-CO. Consult Al Blue's definitive "The B-24 Liberator" for production blocks. "Hidden Warbirds" is simply incorrect.

Thanks for confirming.

Also noticed that the chart in "Hidden Warbirds" also incorrectly lists a B-24A as a B-24D-CO. So yeah, there's more than one inconsistency in there.

Nearly every resource I've seen so far, including Joe Baugher's USAF serials list, tells me that the B-24D "Lady Be Good" (41-24301) was a B-24D-25-CO, however in the book Hidden Warbirds by Nick Veronico (screenshot of the page attached), the same aircraft is listed as B-24D-CO. Does anyone know why this is? As far as I know, there's no such variant.

Source: Hidden Warbirds

Thanks,
Max
The serial number pegs it as B-24D-25-CO. The range for B24D-CO was between 40-2349 and 41-11938 with many pulled within

Hi Max,

When that B-24 was ordered (Fiscal Year 41 between July 1940 and June 1941) the block system didn't exist, and the aircraft was simply a B-24D. When the factory codes were introduced (sometime in 1941) the aircraft would have been identified as a B-24D-CO. The block numbers were introduced in 1942 (the factories were still arguing about how to use them that summer), and the "-25" would have been added then. I don't know when the aircraft was delivered, but she certainly was a B-24D-25-CO by the time she was lost.

Cheers,

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread

Back