Congratulations to Netherlands members on the King's accession (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

He did not do a name change. His real name is Willem-Alexander. In our country, all our kings were called Willem (1,2 and 3) after our founding father Willem of Orange and as the name Willem is also part of his name, people speculated he would shorten his name and become Willem 4. He however was very clear and said he wants to be called by his real name Willem-Alexander.

Ah, forgive me Marcel (and other Dutch) no offence intended, but it seems the name Willem/William/Willhiem is to Holland, as the Raverns are to England(s Tower of London)

@Njaco. Actually it's the first time we have a princess of orange, in the past only a prince could be of orange.

@ Thorlifter, don't understand the question. Willem van Oranje van Nassau was the leader of the fight against Spain in 1560 and ths considered the father of the fatherland. Our national anthem starts with his name. Our royal family officially are decendent of him, in really they are a separate branch of the same family. But Willem is a name that has been used a lot in our royal family because of this. Wilhelmina fi was the female form of Willem.

Good to see another monarchy still going strong.
It makes a change with all this republic nonsense in the EU :lol:
yes, this monarchy is going very strong. The republicans organised a demonstration, but only 65 people showed up, while about a million went to see the new king :) this was not always the case. After Juliana, our royal family was not very popular, but Beatrix all changed that in her 32 years of reign. She was a great queen and we're confident that our new king will be the same.

Thanks all, we had a great party yesterday (at least I had). There were no major incidents and overall people had a good time. Ended with some great fireworks here in Dordrecht and the kids went to bed way to late.

yes, this monarchy is going very strong. The republicans organised a demonstration, but only 65 people showed up, while about a million went to see the new king :) this was not always the case. After Juliana, our royal family was not very popular, but Beatrix all changed that in her 32 years of reign. She was a great queen and we're confident that our new king will be the same.

Thanks all, we had a great party yesterday (at least I had). There were no major incidents and overall people had a good time. Ended with some great fireworks here in Dordrecht and the kids went to bed way to late.

Excellent Marcel. I was really pleased to see so many happy people out celebrating. Gives me a little hope for Europe.

Congratulations. Just found out about this today. Sometimes I wish Canada was a Monarchy as there are several people I wouldn't mind seeing beheaded(bloody yappy dogs)

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back