Contrail/Sanger Bombay,Harrow,Hendon and Overstrand

Discussion in 'Questions on Kits, Decals, Tools and Pilots' started by doglove2005, Jan 27, 2010.

1. doglove2005

doglove2005 New Member

Hi, All

Now I am planning to build some 1:72 VAC kits.
    Sanger Bristol Bombay, Contrail Hadley Page Harrow and Fairly Hendon (obtained) and Boulton Paul Side/Overstrand (searching). Sanger's Bombay includes some metal parts, but no good mail wheels. Contrails are without small parts. Today I ask you to advice with 2 things.

Q1, how to get some small parts as engine (in case of air cooling, front side), exhaust, mail and tail wheels, AND PROP.
    I may be able to (reproduces by RTV and resin, then) convert some part from other kits. Front side of Pegasus from Walrus/Hampden to Harrow/Overstrand.
    (Of course I also able to try
    "E032 1/72 BRISTOL PEGASUS ENGINE EXHAUST RING",
    "E035 1/72 BRISTOL PERSEUS ENGINE FRONT" and/or
    "E082 1/72 BRISTOL PEGASUS ENGINE AND COWLING")
    21mm dia. main wheels from Heyford to Hendon.
    18mm dia. main wheels from Whitley/Wellington to Harrow/Bombay.(There are no large wheels in the list of Aeroclub)
    But I still have some difficulty. In my experience, reproduce tail wheel and prop with resin is very difficult. So I want to obtain metal parts, hopefully from Aeroclub. I asked the company, but they replied that they do not know enough real aircraft, and I have to state products numbers.
    Q1-A
    Please advice me suitable tail wheels and props from Aeroclub parts for Harrow, Hendon and Side/Overstrand.
    Are both or one of them tail wheel of
    "V004 1/72 PACK-TAILWHEELS,DF LOOP,CONTROL COLUMNS, OIL COOLER ETC."
    or
    "V084 1/72 TAILWHEELS 2 EACH x 3 TYPES" will fit such heavy bombers?

Q1-B
    And what PROPs will fit for Harrow, Hendon and Side/Overstrand?

Q1-C
    I also ask you to help exhaust type of Hendon's Kestrel.
    Was it curved 3 outlets for each side (from 2 cylinders to in 1 pipe type)? If it was, I can convert them from Heyford.
    Or round type?
    There are "V009 1/72 KESTREL"ELEPHANT EAR" EXHAUSTS - TWO PAIRS" in the list.
    Is it fit to Hendon?
    Is it same thing to;
    "Ram's head exhaust" of Audax in p.191, "Hart Family", Mushroom books, and/or
    "kidney exhaust" of Osprey in p.195, "British Piston Engines and their Aircraft"?
    Which shall I use for Hendon?

Q2.
    I am reading old books an "RAF in Camera" "Manston in old photos" etc and also search web, but I have not found any photos and/or drawings of cockpit of those 4 aircraft above. If you know any information, please let me know the titles (and page) of books or URLs.

Thanks, and sorry long question

2. doglove2005

doglove2005 New Member

Please advice me about prop of real aircraft at least. As makes, DIA. and so on.

3. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    Seems there are few, if any, people here with the information you rerquire. I can only suggest a search of, say, the Hannant's web-site to see if they have resin or white metal parts available from the various manufacturers . Whilst I've seen the basic data for these aircraft in various reference books, I haven't seen any technical information regarding prop diamters and so on. Perhaps a search for British radial engines of the period might help? There were certainly at least two books published on the subject.

4. doglove2005

doglove2005 New Member

Thank you, Airframes.
    In Hannant's, I could find only Prop of Bombay.
    With Basic data. There are no data in:
    British Aircraft of Wold War II by Monday
    British Piston Aero Engines and Their Aircraft by Lumsden
    The Royal Air Force , An Encyclopedia of the inter war years Vol.II by Philpott

Searching inter war aircraft id is difficult!
    I am still waiting any help. Thank you.

5. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    The only other course I can suggest is to contact the RAF Museum, Hendon, and ask if they have any archive information on the aircraft, engines and any technical data. They do have an on-line service for some requests, but I don't know if they will definitely have what you are looking for. However, if you were able to get a good photo of, say, an engine type, and details of it's dimensions, that would be a good start point for scaling other items, such as the props etc.

6. doglove2005

doglove2005 New Member

Airframes, Thank you again.