Controlling the A6M Zero in speeds exceeding 400KPH

Discussion in 'IL-2 Sturmovik Pilot's Lounge' started by shiro_amada_jp, Jul 1, 2009.

1. shiro_amada_jp

When the A6M5C Zero dives from an altitude of 3000 meters, it can reach speeds exceeding 400KPH. How do you control the aircraft at that airspeed? At that speed the ailerons tend to lock up and roll becomes impossible for the aircraft. Would deploying combat flaps help bleed the excess airspeed so that the aircraft can be maneuverable again?

2. Pong

Pong Active Member

Pull up! Pull up!

Don't put your combat flaps down, it would just jam your flaps and when you get the plane back under control, it just pitches the Zero upward.

Instead, try to increase the drag to slow down the plane (Opening the canopy, lower throttle etc.) to get the ailerons amd the plane under control.

I also have the same problem with the P-38, this time with the elevators jammed.

Be quick, though. The Zero easily breaks up once it reaches 500+ kph.

Hope this helps.

-Pong

3. beaupower32

beaupower32 Well-Known Member

Try elevator trim, it will slowly pull you out. Just food for thought.

4. strike

strike New Member

#4 strike, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
    as far as possible i do not exceed 400mph in a zeke, if you have to then use the ailerons, rudder and torque from the propeller in sync to roll better, rapid increase in the power causes you to roll to the left and rapid decrease causes you to roll to the right

5. eddie_brunette

Graphic Designer, Musician
    make sure you dont get into a postition to dive away in a zero. prob the worst diver of all the planes. but use elevator trim, works a charm. same with '38(my fav fighter!). if you in "L" series, then use airbrake. I had many 190's fooled when diving away in '38, knowing that the 190 is a monster diver, when suddenly this big bird pulls high "g" loop. sometimes when you are forced to turn, the airbrake also work it magic. IMHO it will "OUTURN" anything in the sim, when in turning fight above 380 mph.

edd

6. shiro_amada_jp

Using the elevator trim...now that's a cool trick. :D Haven't thought of that myself. What about lowering my landing gear? Would that help or would the gear just end up damaged?

7. GrauGeist

GrauGeist Well-Known Member

Public Safety Automotive Technician
    Home Page:
    It's really not a good idea to lower the gear at high speeds...very few aircraft can handle that, most will fail.

Best thing to do in a terminal dive, is back off the throttle and "flatten" the prop pitch, if applicable. Using elevator trim is also a good idea, as eddie suggested.

You can also work the stick, but some aircraft won't respond to "pulling" back on the stick, some respond to "pushing" the stick forward, which will cause the nose to climb.