"Coolest" Fighter (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

silence

Senior Airman
Nov 20, 2012
Yuba City, California
Not the fastest, best, most maneuverable, or anything mostly objective like that.

I mean: what is the fighter that you take to the beach with your sunglasses on and the top down?

Here's my "vote":

beer truck spitfire.jpg

Keg Spitfire.jpg

beer truck.jpg

I wonder what it handled like with those blunt ended kegs on the wings ? It had to cause a lot of disturbance to the airflow.

P-51. Good British aircraft with a good British engine.

A silver metallic finish it just looks so right. Like sleek and modern. It has a Hollywood glamour to it.

Talking about the D with the bubble top.

Last edited:
Don't you mean a good American aircraft, to a British spec requirement, with a good American-built British engine?

Top down, go to the beach with and watch everyone panic and run screaming out of the water...

Lspit5.jpg

Spitfire1.jpg

Inline engined: Fiat G.55, radial engined: Sea Fury, twin engined: toss between Tigercat and Lightning.

P-51. A silver metallic finish it just looks so right. Talking about the D with the bubble top.

Got to say I have to agree with you 100 % there dude !!! :thumbright:

And if you need any further confirmation, just watch some of 'The Horsemen' video's. Ed Shipley will confirm in no uncertain terms that the '51 is 'The coolest' plane ever built !!. :D

Attachments

• cp.jpg
    cp.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 189
I am inclined to go with Wusak - the XP-67 was the most intriguing aircraft design (to me ) of WWII. I wish funds had been made available to get the problems solved..

I could suggest P-38 'Glacier Girl' - she was under the ice for over 40 years, and that's more than 'cool' - it's bl**dy freezing!

Taking also the OP literally:

Edward B. Giller, P-38 pilot, 55th Fighter Group
This was the world's coldest airplane and we tried every combination of suit, glove and heater imaginable, including some that would short out and give you a hot foot. We were so cold sometimes, we did not even want to fight.

:)

I am inclined to go with Wusak - the XP-67 was the most intriguing aircraft design (to me ) of WWII. I wish funds had been made available to get the problems solved..

I think the biggest problem was going with experimental engines.

The XP-67 could easily have been made with V-1710s and turbos or with 2 stage Merlins.

The other problem was that its late and the need for such an aircraft (long range heavy interceptor) was gone.

He 219. There is just something inherently badass and cool about this bird with its sleek shape, insect like canopy and the ventral trough housing the guns.
Looks like it will deliver quite a sting anytime.
Same could be said about the Me 410.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back