Copyright Infringement (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerAdlerIstGelandet

Private Chemtrail Disperser
Staff
Mod
Nov 8, 2004
USA/Germany
This is just a reminder to everyone that posts that link to copyrighted data or published works such as music, books, other forms of literature and even pictures without the proper permissions can lead to copyright infringement. Not to insult anyone's intelligence but copyright infringement is the use of works protected by copyright law without permission, and includes the distribution, as well as the display of such works without permission. The holder of a copyright (the author / publisher of a book) for instance can use legal measures to stop and even penalize this forum, and its users for violating copyright laws.

This includes posting links to published books, without the express permission of the author or publisher. If you are not paying for the book, they are probably not giving you permission to distribute it others for free.

Think about it. Would you want to put hard work and effort into writing and publishing a book, and then have a bunch of people basically steal it by downloading it for free?

When quoting books, or someone else's work, it is imperative to also reference and cite that work when doing so. This can prevent a lot of hardship to our forum and membership.

Thank you, and I hope you all understand this. If you ever have any questions regarding this, or whether something is okay to post, just ask any of the moderators or administrators. We will review it, and give you a thumbs up or down. We want a free and open exchange of information here, but we also have to ensure that we are not violating any laws, and that we remain an ethical source of information.

I have often wondered if it is a problem to post those performance graphs in wwiiaircraftperformance.org? Seems like the information would be public knowledge being official government information, but they all have "wwiiaircraftperformance.org superimposed on each item.

I always really liked that site and sure wouldn't want to run afoul of copyright laws from posting on a message board. :)

I have emailed that site a couple of times but never got a reply. I believe some here know the principal(s), would be interested in their viewpoint.

Anybody know?

I have often wondered if it is a problem to post those performance graphs in wwiiaircraftperformance.org? Seems like the information would be public knowledge being official government information, but they all have "wwiiaircraftperformance.org superimposed on each item.

I always really liked that site and sure wouldn't want to run afoul of copyright laws from posting on a message board. :)

I have emailed that site a couple of times but never got a reply. I believe some here know the principal(s), would be interested in their viewpoint.

Anybody know?

To be on the safe side just make sure to source it. Place a quick citation giving them credit.

useful reminder, thanks...

anyone been on Facebook or Pinterest recently - its a total free-for-all. There's one chap 'Dan Case' reposts just about everything I've ever posted on my blogs, no links, no thanks, no credit - but realistically what can you do about it ?

That is up to how far you are willing to go about something. Many times the effort is not worth it. You can always politely ask to be references ot cited.

Joe Baugher's website joebaugher.com gives a good idea of how well our photos and media are or are not protected. He admits he is not a lawyer but one can see he has done much research. That's why when I start a thread with my photos I know I don't have to mark them copyright or all rights reserved as long as I own the originals. I can't stop any any from copying or using them. Only if they are published and sold. If someone makes money from my work, only then do have a case. Most of my flying model plans come from outerzone.co.uk and I can download and print as they are for my own "research and education". This will also be true if someone were to download and print my photos from this site. The staff here is correct that it is always proper to give credit and source.

As far as posting things to forums such as this... This is a "discussion board," so most copyrighted material can be posted under the "Fair Use Act," as long as it's a paragraph or two, or some photos, tables, or such, which don't constitute a major portion of the copyright owners' work. As an example, you couldn't post an entire chapter from a book. It is not required to post a disclaimer with the material, but it may be useful to post it if there is a significant chance of the copyright holder taking issue with having his/her material shared online.

Here is the "Fair Use Act" disclaimer:
"Copyright Disclaimer under section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, education and research."

As you can see, our purposes would fall under several of those categories...criticism, comment, teaching, scholarship, education, and research. I'll be darned if I know what the difference between teaching, scholarship, and education is, for purposes of sharing information. *scratches head* :)

-Irish

Also, I don't believe any of our comments to one another result in any monetary profit which would definitely be a copyright problem.

No, but distributing whole books for instance onlinefor free (which is what brought this discussion about) when the publisher clearly wants to sell his book rather than give it away for free does equal stealing.

Simply, source and give credit...

Last edited:
Yes. If you use the box art for documentation, for your kit, it is not infringement. If I use aviation art for my kit colors, no infringement.

A note about government published info & photos.

US government photos, including anything taken by a service-member during the course of their duties (not ones taken for personal reasons) are, by law, available for reproduction without further permission needed.

I would assume the same for documents, graphs, etc published by the US government.

Simply put, in the US, if it was created by a government agency using tax dollars, it belongs to the people.

A note about government published info & photos.

US government photos, including anything taken by a service-member during the course of their duties (not ones taken for personal reasons) are, by law, available for reproduction without further permission needed.

I would assume the same for documents, graphs, etc published by the US government.

Simply put, in the US, if it was created by a government agency using tax dollars, it belongs to the people.

US government publications may be public domain, but their availability may be limited to US nationals and, to make things more fun, be classified after publication.

Non-US government publications may be copyrighted, as are many documents from Britain.

I hear ya. I've lost track of how many emails I've received with material from my 2009 Flight Journal article, "The Price of Doing Business" which addressed WW II training and losses (all AAF, very little recorded by USN.) FJ was attributed once--I never have been, and when I inform the sender(s) there's a deafening silence. I don't mind the info being disseminated but you'd think SOMEBODY would have the basic courtesy to acknowledge The Source. Grump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back