Copyrighted photos?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Udet

Banned
Nov 22, 2004
A question to the administrators and operators of the forum:

How are you ensuring the photos posted on the photoalbum of the forum comply with copyright issues?

Not that i am suggesting you hire a god damned attorney (attorneys should be exterminated), nor that you study on copyright regulations, no way.

Not that i am an attorney or the like (attorneys are the most loathesome creatures on earth; the lowest life form one can find). I am sure the world would be a better place without attorneys.

The point is i have seen many phots posted on many threads where posters do not give any credit to the source from which they took them.

I mean, it is very great to see as many photos as possible, but have you considered implementing a rule that will make posters give due credit to the source.

Perhaps that minimum procedure of citing the source for photos posted here could save you from some headaches?

And there's no money involved, so it would be an extremely petty and micro-minded individual who'd kick up a fuss.

Medvedya said:
And there's no money involved, so it would be an extremely petty and micro-minded individual who'd kick up a fuss.

There are some around.

SimHQ now has a policy that only your own can be posted. A link to the pic is to be given. Does make for a dull board, though.

I asked my dad (a BBC Journalist) if there was any chance of nastiness, and his response was that for the sort of pics we put up - it's very, very unlikely.

However, if someone's going to be like that then it's far better to back down and not land Horse and Crazy dans la merde.

My personal (non-mod) view is, if someone puts a picture on an internet site freely accessable to the entire planet then what do you expect - honestly.

If it was my site, I would personally wait for a 'cease desist' letter from a law firm, and if it was from overseas, I would still then find out from a solicitor if they could actually get me from another country.

If they couldn't...... :fist:

It is important to source the material you post. I try to do that with each photo I post. Sometimes I fail mea culpa

But

This is a non-profit board
No one is claiming the photos as their own work
No body is attempting to circumvent an author's due profit.

Kiwimac

kiwimac or Medvedya,

contact Olivier Lefebvre who is the Admin of the allaboutwarfare board (http://www.allaboutwarfare.com - [email protected]) and ask him about the troubles he had with his old board.

I would hate to see this place have to shut down.

"My personal (non-mod) view is, if someone puts a picture on an internet site freely accessable to the entire planet then what do you expect - honestly."

The problem is Medvedya that many of the pics on other sites are not theirs, they are someone elses.

I should add that educational use is OK, afaik, but many do not see sites like yours as educational, for some reason. :rolleyes:

Oh, I would agree, that on a purely legal standpoint we could get roasted.

My views were purely on the morality of it. It would be a really horrible person who would try to kill the site. However, maybe someone should speak to a solicitor and find out where the site stands, and how we can cover our backs.

If a disclaimer is written stating the sites purely educational aims, then perhaps that will do the trick.

You might also look into what is called "Fair Use". "Fair Use" copyright law ( hint; try google) which allows reproduction of a portion or quote from written works, provided the use is not for profit. A usage may be considered "fair," if that usage is for the purpose of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

I don't know if that includes pictures, but it certainly includes text. This site could definitely be defined as comment, teaching or research. Either way, sourcing your photos could go a long way.

Nonetheless,

And given that Horse has the final say, I would like all photos posted to be sourced clearly

Perhaps we can prevent something happening that none of us want, this site in trouble with some "concerned individuals."

Kiwimac

suggest all pictures in the Random pictures on the front page be labeled just the same. Yeah I know this sucks but if the fear is there all photos need to be marked

Users who are viewing this thread

Back