Corsair Colour Question? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vengeance

Airman
Jul 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hi Guys, newbie here!
About to attempt my first dual action Airbrush paint scheme, the F4U-1D, looking to attempt the tri-color white, sea grey and sea blue scheme using mainly Tamiya Acrylics for the airbrush areas and mainly Humbrol enamels for the smaller hand brushing parts!

Researching the correct colours on the net I've found information that says the Tamiya XF-17 Sea Blue is close to correct but when scaled down to 1/48 appears to be too dark, resulting in an almost black appearance.

Can anyone give me some advice on the three colours in Tamiya acrylics, and perhaps alternatives or suggestions on how one goes about lightening up the XF-17 to get a better result?

I've looked through some of the start to finish build thread here but can find no discussion regarding paints used!

Any help is appreciated!
P.S I've got time on my hands at the moment as I'm still fiddling around with the photo-etch in the cockpit!

Cheers,
Vengeance!

Just use these colours that are suggested and add some of white to each of them stiring carefully before airbrushing. Also I woud suggest trying to apply samples of the mixtures at a piece of white cardboard or sprue frame firstly in order to assess the contrast at demarcation lines between them.

Last edited:
Newbie with 60 posts? Wow. I agree with Wojtek on cutting with a bit of white. It will not only deal with the scale issue but could also simulate weathering due to strong sun exposure. I've not dealt with the tri-colour scheme that your talking about in particular but have done the Atlantic scheme which is different.

Thanks for the advice guys, I guess when I say "newbie" I'm returning to modelling after 15-20 year break to find all these crazy new techniques like weathering, washes and pigments which I find somewhat alluring. I used to build straight out of the box with no consideration for wear and tear, weathering or after market extras such as photo-etch. So please forgive my curiosity, I just find these "new" techniques very interesting and want to get the best out of my model builds
Cheers!

There are Many of us Returnees in here Mr V.
I modeled between ages 10-13, then 48-50, then back in the game here at 66 in 2009, yes 71 this year!

And lovin it.

Thanks for the replies guys, helpful!
Got another question, do Tamiya have a white acrylic that matches their spray can insignia white? I would much rather steer clear of the spray paint cans and use my new airbrush (thats sorta the whole idea of this build) I have a Humbrol Satin White No 130 but its enamel and I'd rather not mix enamel with acrylic?

Can anyone suggest how I could get the insignia white by using the acrylic jars perhaps to mix up the colour myself?
Has anyone out there done this build before? Tamiya 1/48 F4u-D Corsair!! What have you guys used? etc
Any help would be appreciated!!
Cheers,
Vengeance!

Thanks for the tip Mr 22, take a quid outta the till,
Just thought insignia white was a bit satin or pearl white. A flat white with a bit of a dirty wash applied later should look great,
Will check out the group build as suggested,
Cheers!

If you're adamant about matching the Tamiya spray colour, you can always decant the spray paint into another container or straight into your airbrush and use it there without thinning. As far as I remember, Tamiya make just two whites in the acrylic bottled paint range, one flat and one gloss.

Thanks again, Mr River,
The Instructions in the box say to use the Insignia white, not knowing what type of white this was and wanting an alternative to the spray can, I threw it out there for suggestions, I think I'll just go with the flat white, with some weathering to dirty it up a bit!

Cheers all, very helpful!

The Insignia White...

ANA 511 - Glossy Insignia White - FS17875 .... Humbrol 22, Testors/ModelMaster 1745.

ANA 601 - non-specular Insignai White - FS 37875 ... Humbrol 34, Testors/ModelMaster 1768.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back