Corsair F4U-1D, Maj "Hap" Hansen, USS Bennington - Aircraft of the Aces GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tigerdriver

Staff Sergeant
Sep 20, 2010
Norwich UK
www.seloc.org
Username: Tigerdriver
First name: Dave
Category: Beginner
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: Corsair F4U-1D
Aftermarket addons: None
Decals: Still under investigation

In the interests of onwards and upwards, here we go again, bear with the bumbling beginner folks !

I am going to have a bash at an F4U-1A flown by Major Herman "Hap" Hansen of VF-112 from USS Bennington in the latter stages of the pacific campaign. He is listed as an ace with 5 and half kills, several more probables and some ground targets to his name .

He was to receive the Navy Cross for his bravery on 12th April 1945, as cited below

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Major Herman Hansen, Jr. (MCSN: 0-6389), United States Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism and distinguished service in the line of his profession as Commanding Officer and a Pilot of Marine Fighting Squadron ONE HUNDRED TWELVE (VMF-112), embarked from the U.S.S. BENNINGTON (CV-20), in in aerial combat against enemy Japanese forces in the vicinity of Amami-O-Shima, Japan, on 12 April 1945. Leading a flight of twelve carrier-based fighter planes against a numerically superior force of hostile aircraft, Major Hansen skillfully shot down three enemy fighters and aided his squadron in destroying or seriously damaging the entire formation. On returning to base, he again led his flight in destroying a formation of enemy dive bombers which were attempting to make suicide attacks on our surface forces. A superb leader and airman, Major Hansen contributed to the destruction of twenty enemy aircraft and to the infliction of crippling damage on six others, returning his entire flight to base, intact and undamaged. His gallant fighting spirit and courageous devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

General Orders: SPOT AWARD, Carrier Task Force Pacific: Serial 0558 (SofN Signed January 26, 1948)

In reality its pretty unlikely that Herman had a dedicated plane to himself , as this was rare amongst carrier based pilots given the logistical constraints of carrier flying but he would certainly have used many if not all the planes over the course of his tour .

47.-F4U.jpg
hap.jpg

It would seem the aircraft didnt carry a serial number at all , both looking at pics from the time and indeed aftermarket decal sheets. This seems odd if only for the inherent difficulty in record keeping, and maintenance, so i will look into that a bit more as the build progresses

The actual shade of US Navy Sea Blue and the extent to which the F4U might have faded and weathered in the harsh pacific environment is also something I will be giving some thought to

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks chaps

Will update once i have the blue on. The valejo air colour i have picked seems about the right shade but isnt proving to have the best covering ability compared to other paint i have tried from the same range

Progress has been slow, sadly.

However most of the basic colouring in is now done and i need to make up the wings and flaps ( I decided to pre paint these as there are a lot more bits involved than usual what with a stack of flap bits and the messing about for the folding wings )

I hope to get the wings on tonight then take some pics tomorrow when its all calmed down a bit

Also painted the canopy frame . I had " invested " in an eduard mask but i guess hannants had had that one in stock for a while as it was a dry as old boots and was about as good at sticking to the canopy as i am at clinging on to my wages ;)

Still coming along, due to poorly father issues I am doing bits here and there and never seem to be home in daylight to take any pics :(

Not sure its the best way to be working, but the modelling is a nice way to forget some of the other crap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back