Costa Rican Pony

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BombTaxi

Tech Sergeant
Nov 27, 2004
Barnsley, S. Yorks, UK
Hi all

Haven't had much time for modelling over the last six weeks or so, but managed to get this finished. Hobbyboss 'Easy-build' P-51D in 1/72 with Costa Rican markings c. 1955 by Blue Rider 8)

100_1146.jpg

100_1145.jpg

Cheers

BT

That's a smart little build, very handsome indeed! I've never seen Costa Rican markings on a model. Very nice. I've seen those Hobbyeasy kits from time to time and wondered if they would build up into something decent...

Thanks guys

The EasyBuild kits are good, especially when you consider that they are quite cheap. I had to do a bit of sanding and filling to get wing and fuselage together, but on the other hand, you only have the wing roots to fill afterwards, and they didn't need much. I was so impressed that I have ordered the EasyBuild F-84 for my next build. They make a really good platform for a build where the decals are going to be the focus 8) Speaking of which, the Blue Rider range is very good, very keenly priced but good quality and full of very unusual subjects, particularly from the WW1 and interwar eras.

Thanks for all the kind comments guys :oops:

I do like to go for an unusual subject, As so often happens, I saw the decals first, then went looking for a kit to put them on. I tend to be drawn to early Cold War subjects (1945-late 60's), as well as South American schemes. I also have a soft spot for US Navy schemes of all eras, and RAF commemorative schemes, although as yet these are still on the wish list. It all makes the shelf a bit more interesting, and helps provide a bit of the motivation I sometimes lack when working on a build :lol:8)

Nice one BT ! Have you painted the frame onto the bottom of the canopy transparency, or is it just the way the light is reflecting?
I don't normally 'do' 1/72nd scale, but I built a Hobby Boss FW190A for the first GB, and I was quite impressed with the detail for such a small kit.

Ah! It shouldn't be painted! The bottom canopy frame has been moulded separately ! The transparency is supposed to be fitted to the moulded frame, and left clear.

That's not a big deal as mistakes go. It doesn't even look like a mistake to the untrained eye because it's so obviously intentional - I didn't catch it. Looking forward to the P-51.

Canopy mistake aside, it looks like a nice little model. I have that Blue Rider sheet somewhere, your build's the inspiration I need to dig it out along with the Tamiya P-51D in my stash. Nice work.

Yep, no problem re the canopy, just pointing it out for future reference. The paint might even come off if you want to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back