Crowood aviation series

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

They're like the proverbial curate's egg...good in parts. Some of the titles are excellent, while others a not so great. It all depends on the author. They are well illustrated but I'm not sure there's anything particularly startling about the photos they use in many of the volumes. Certainly many have been published before. Similarly, the text will not win any awards for uncovering new or deep/meaningful insights about the aircraft type covered.

My recommendation is to be selective and check whether the Crowood book adds anything to your existing library. If it does provide new material, then go ahead and get it. If not, leave it in the bookshop.

I would 2nd Buffnut's assessment. I have few and the there doesn't appear to be any standard format or formula. One may have a lot of technical details and information about production but not much on operational use while the book on a different aircraft may be weak on technical details/performance and spend a much higher percentage of pages on operational history.

There are some "bad ones".
At discounted prices for some of the older ones, you can't really go wrong. Just be aware that some them will be dated such as the one's on the B737 or B747. I'd be careful on some of the more inflated ones as well. For example, Darling's book on the Buccaneer was a great buy for $15-$20.00, it's kinda' hard to justify it for most of us at the $150.00 some editions are priced at.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back