CSS Hunley Museum - Charleston SC

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

comiso90

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 19, 2006
FL
Has anyone been to it? It seems that visitors are only permitted on weekends.

Friends of the Hunley

I'm planning a trip to Charleston and I'd love to see her but I hate planning around specifics days.

I'll also go to Ft Sumter... anything else I need to see close by?

I've been there and really enjoyed it, however it's not something you can spend a lot of time there - at least when I was there about 6-7 years ago but still pretty fascinating esp looking inside the Hunley itself.

The USS Yorktown (CV-10) is also in Charleston at Patriots Point which I would HIGHLY recommend. Patriots Point Naval Maritime Museum - Charleston Harbor, SC

If you are a Civil War buff, I'd also recommend Fort Moultrie and the Charleston Museum.

"The Battery" is nice and features a number of old cannons on display and is one of the more famous scenic places of the city. There is an Aquarium there as well, but when I went they had not been opened very long or very big. However as I understand it now, it's a lot better. There are a number of ghost tours offered.

Lived there for 4 years while going to college, and how I miss it.

Have fun!

Good Tips VB.

I've been on the Midway, Hornet and Intrepid. I may as well add Yorktown to the list. I have to give the Hunley and Sumter priority. I hope it works out.

Now I'll have to decide whether or not to bring my camera.

Hows the nightlife?

This is a rhetorical question, right? Or are you simply wondering which camera to bring? :lol:

No.. I dont take many photos of tourist sites anymore. Far better ones are online and I dont have to lug mt camera

Patriots Point is a must. Spent a few nights on board the Yorktown years ago in boy scouts. Great experience I'll always remember, also went out to Fort Sumter too. Definitely hit those two places. Patriots Point alone could take all day at least if not two.

I'll find out tomorrow if I'm going.. The Hunley is my priority but the others are a close second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back