Curtiss P-36 Hawk , Curtiss Hawk Model 75

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01

Honourably banned
Mar 26, 2007
Curtiss P-36 Hawk_01.JPG

Last edited:
I do not know why the pictures turned into a low quality when I downloaded here.
But you will find a few pictures here. SA - kuvagalleria

Word search

Fighter = hävittäjä
Bomber = pommikone or pommittaja
aeroplane = lentokone
reconnaissance plane= tiedustelukone
reconnaissance flight = tiedustelulento

Tiedustelu.jpg

I do not know why the pictures turned into a low quality when I downloaded here.

The reason for that is your images are very large files. Each one is of more than 4,5MB and the width is more then 4200 pixels. I have download your pictures and the pic browser displayed them very large in origin. So no wonder your shots are of the low quality because your images are of large pixels. Additionally , these had to be resized down by the forum soft in order to fit the page what may influence the quality.

Here is your pic resized down to 900 pixels in the width. I think it looks qood. Also a smaller picture is uploaded and displayed faster than a such large one.

98609a.jpg

As memo serves these abbreviations are for the weight data. Usually, next to these codes, there should be applied weights in kilograms. But these were omitted very often.

Poids ( Pesant ) - weight

PT - Poids Totale - total weight.
PE - Poids d'exploitation - empty weight.
PC - Poids du combustible - fuel weight - ( E - essence ( aviation gasoline ), H - huile ( oil - lubricant ).
PD - Poids au décollage ( départ ) - take-off weight.

As memo serves these abbreviations are for the weight data. Usually, next to these codes, there should be applied weights in kilograms. But these were omitted very often.

Poids ( Pesant ) - weight

PT - Poids Totale - total weight.
PE - Poids d'exploitation - empty weight.
PC - Poids du combustible - fuel weight - ( E - essence ( aviation gasoline ), H - huile ( oil - lubricant ).
PD - Poids au décollage ( départ ) - take-off weight.

:thumbleft: Thank you WikiWojtek ;)

but why no units written down if one would take the trouble to paint PT< PR etc on the tail?

I'm not sure about the reason. The info about the weights was going to be a help for manitenace crews and was applied by the manufacturers. I have noticed the data could be found at rudders of French quite early, pre-war planes. Also, on rudderes of exported French airplanes.
I would say that there wasn't any reason for painting of the info there for aircraft used in France or just by the French Air Force. The data could be found in all manuals available for each of plane types and must have been well known to all aviators.. Also because the modern planes, tracks or rail flats weren't so limited at weight like the WW1 and early pre-war ones. But as I have said I wasn't sure.

My pleasure. However similar markings can be found on Polish planes too. Here is a PWS-5 and Potez XXVA2. Of course the abbreviations were in Polish and painted white. Also the PWS-10 wore the same markings but no pic found to show it as an example. But in a couple of books about the Polish pre-war fighter planes these can be seen.

PWS-5t2_.jpg

Potez XXVa2_.jpg

There are units filled in .. as i see it the marking have no function

Curtiss P-36 Hawk_02.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back