Data on 332nd FG

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The aerial victory credits from June 1944 to EOW are somewhat skewed simply because the 332 was equipped with four squadrons - all the other 15th AF Fighter Groups had three.

Aslo interesting (I will have to look it up) is why the 14th FG got 340+ aerial credits Before the 'marking period' and only 85 afterwards. The 1st FG got 368+ of their aerial victory credits before the marking period and 72 afterwards. So, do those of you draw any conclusions regarding whether or not the 332nd was 'better than' the 1st Fg and the 14th FG? All four of the 332nd FG sqwuadrons accounted for a total of 133 air credits and the longest serving squadron (the 99th flew combat ops in the MTO from April 1943 to EOW with a total score of 31 of the 113 for the entire group.

I DO think there was a background factor not easily seen - namely one of the reasons Eaker was relieved of command of 8th AF is that he violently protested Spaatz decision to seek and destroy the LW, arguing that there would be far higher bomber losses. he carried that philosophy to 15th AF - but the only FG he could impose his views on, independent of 'prior experience' in dealing with the LW was the 332nd. All the rest were well seasoned fighter groups with depth and breadth of combat vets - the 332nd was very short on experience for the three new squadrons.

I do believ that Eaker tempered and influenced the 332nd and had he encouraged them to be more aggressive they would have had better results.

as I mentioned in an earlier posting he 15th AF was never going to have the chance to take on he LW's best except. in small batches until they were able to fly in northern German airspace in late 44 into 1945. and except for JG 27 and the Bf 110G-2's of ZG 1 the rest were a hodge podge of Hungarian and LW FW ground attack units

As long as it's not flaming or offensive, IMO the thread is fine. I also got some good info from Erich and Drgondog. I haven't read the item you posted yet, but I will later.

As long as we stick to the historical aspects of the 332d FG, there shouldn't be any reason to turn this thread into a zoo. We know the challenges these men were up against but in the end well presented facts will show their TRUE combat record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back