DC-4 / R5D , did Douglas ever propose a maritime reconnaisance variant?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pinehilljoe

Senior Airman
May 1, 2016
Is there any record of Douglas proposing a maritime reconnaissance version of the DC 4? An American equivalent to the Condor. Or were there enough VLRs in the form of Liberators, and Catalinas to do the job?

Post war Electras and Constellation had ASW reconnassaince and Electronic Warfare Variants.

Is there any record of Douglas proposing a maritime reconnaissance version of the DC 4? An American equivalent to the Condor. Or were there enough VLRs in the form of Liberators, and Catalinas to do the job?

Post war Electras and Constellation had ASW reconnassaince and Electronic Warfare Variants.

There may have been some drawings but I doubt they went far. WW II thinking required gun turrets and internal bomb bays. The Plane may have had to been re-stressed (beefed up) to meet bomber "G" load requirements.
Not sure how much of the under floor space was occupied by fuel tanks and how much was baggage compartment.

Is there any record of Douglas proposing a maritime reconnaissance version of the DC 4?
In '71 or '72, VX-1, The Navy's ASW test and evaluation squadron hosted a free world ASW symposium and our base was suddenly a museum of ASW aircraft from around the world.
Nimrods to Neptunes, Boeing Vertol to Westland, we had it all. Included in the collection were a pair of subhunters that looked like converted C-54s or C-118s, one of which was equipped with V-12 liquid cooled engines, probably Merlins or Allisons. It was all kind of hush-hush, and us "outsiders" were kept well away from the aircraft, and VX-1 personnel weren't even allowed to mix with the rest of us at the EM club for the duration. I did manage to hear the V-12 aircraft taxi past our shop, and there was no mistaking that sweet sound! Didn't get to the window fast enough to get a really good look, but I think it wore Canadian colors. Don't know if this helps answer any questions, but thought I'd toss it in.
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:
Basic aircraft
1254112.jpg

RCAF had about 20. No mention in Wiki about an ASW version but who knows??

Interesting. I have to believe Douglas would have had an entry in the competition for what became the P-3 Orion. Some variant of one its civil liners.

From wiki so????

"While based on the same design philosophy as the Lockheed L-188 Electra, the aircraft was structurally different. The aircraft had 7 feet (2.1 m) less fuselage forward of the wings with an opening bomb bay, and a more pointed nose radome, distinctive tail "stinger" for detection of submarines by magnetic anomaly detector, wing hardpoints, and other internal, external, and airframe production technique enhancements" The prototype P-3 was the 3rd L-188 airframe including Prototypes so modifications were made early in the design and manufacturing process.
The requirement for the replacement of the Neptune was from August of 1957. The DC-7 had less than a year of production left but without a much more substantial redesign probably had no chance at the contract. The Wright turbo compound engines not having a very good reputation. Jet engines of the time could not provide the required endurance so using the DC-8 jet was probably out.

What Douglas may have printed up a sales brochure for is another story :)

Basic aircraft
1254112.jpg

RCAF had about 20. No mention in Wiki about an ASW version but who knows??
That's the beast! Now just add a ventral radar blister, a retractable MAD stinger (a la S2F) and underwing hardpoints and you've got the machine we saw. There was another one with radial engines, but I never got a good look at it and can't vouch for its visible equipment.
Cheers,
Wes

see previous post.(#7 by Chris McD) We may be talking two different aircraft. The Argus being much larger. The North star with Merlins may have been a support aircraft (transported extra personnel)
Then what about the radar blister and MAD stinger on the North Star? I didn't get a good look at the Argus(?) or whatever it was.
Cheers,
Wes

Information seems sketchy or nonexistent.
Perhaps the RCAF did take one of the North Stars and use it to test installations or configuration of equipment for the Argus??
Or one was converted for training purposes while the Argus was first being introduced?

Production of the North Star stopped in 1950 and work didn't start on the Argus until 1954 with first flight in 1957.

It seems like the Argus replaced Lockheed Neptunes and Lancasters in service and only 33 were built in 3-4 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back