Death of Erich Hartmann (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GROCNROLL

Recruit
May 1, 2005
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me anything about the death of Erich Hartmann (cause of death, etc.). I know the date but I haven't been able to find out exactly what happened to him. Also, has his 2nd logbook ever been located?

Oh, Hartmann ... I thought you said Eric Cartman.

Cartman.jpg

FLYBOYJ said:
He died in 93' at the age of 71, cancer I believe.

Erich Hartmann returned home in the autumn of 1955. He could do nothing but flying, though. That is why he accepted a suggestion from the German government to go to the USA and to train American and German pilots there. He retired in 1970, took a great interest in car racing and organized several piloting schools for young people. Erich Hartmann died in September of 1993 over pneumonia.

FLYBOYJ said:
Missing Log book?

He had two complete logbooks with all of his missions and kills. After he was captured the 1st one was recovered but the 2nd one is still missing today. More then likely some poor Russian burned it to make a fire. Its a shame because it would be great to read up on the last part of the war.

Man! I hate what the Russians did too him! Not all of the Germans were Nazi Supporters!

Attachments

• p38_143.jpg
    p38_143.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,389
Lancaster kicks ass, have u even read about some of the battles the russians had? The Russians did horrible things to German Women and children and Old men! The Russians have always been Barbaric when it came to war! Then the Russians caused the cold war, created the Berlin Wall and help create two wars that us Americans fought: Korea and Vietnam war!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was more the whole communism thing than anything else.

P-38 Pilot, yes, the Russians did terrible things, but so did the Nazis. All countries commited atrocities.

P38 Pilot said:
Lancaster kicks ass, have u even read about some of the battles the russians had? The Russians did horrible things to German Women and children and Old men! The Russians have always been Barbaric when it came to war! Then the Russians caused the cold war, created the Berlin Wall and help create two wars that us Americans fought: Korea and Vietnam war!!!!!!!!!!!!!

US involvement in Viet Nam was initiated by individuals to show the Communist world that at one point the US was willing to make a stand against Communist expansion in Southeast Asia. Those who lit the Viet Nam fuse were Kennedy era Democrats who were attempting to exploit an alleged Republican Party weakness in addressing the Communist expansion issue, one of President Kennedy's campaign issues during the 1960 election. Although well intentioned, the arena and rules of engagement were ill planned and ill executed by individuals who, while highly intelligent, had little or no concept of warfare or the arena the US were about to commit troops to. Civilians, not the military dictated the political and military doctrine and this played into the hands of the Communist who realized the US committed to military engagement on their terms, thus the beginning of the whole debacle!

Yep - there were plenty of other places and causes to chase. I always wondered what would of happened if the US would of confronted the Soviets during the Hungarian or Czech invasions? To me these were more noble and meaninful causes than Viet Nam. Would it have started WW3 or would of the Soviets capitulated right there? Food for thought!

I personally dont think WW3 would have started. I think it would have just been a really big showdown and in the end the Soviets may have pulled out. We will never know though.

I then to agree with that. I think the Soviets when confronted, seemed to back down, I think they realized their own liabilities and would not risk armed confrontation unless they were assured victory.

and the west is just as much at fault for the cold war, fact is, no one made a huge effort to stop it untill the 80s, as such both side carry some blame........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back