Decades....?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Which decade or decades would you consider to have had the best movies, music, radio, TV, cars, motorcycles etc? I know that we live in great time when it comes to movies and special effects made with computers etc, but can computer effects really replace a good Alfred Hitchcock movie and such? Is a Mercedes of today really that much better than a 1959 Mercedes-benz 300 Sl Roadster, a Jaguar XK better then Jaguar E-Type, a Yamaha 1100 VStar better than a 1936 Harley Davidson Knucklehead?

8) :D

Gonna have to think this one out.....

First to come to mind is:

Cars: Best decade was the '60s. Cars had style and a signature. You could tell a Ford from a Buick from a Mercedes. Styling was very individual and flowing. From the Avanti to the Camaro to the XKE, almost all car manufacturers were focus on 'cool'. Not to mention the ease of maintanance fo the consumer. Simple engines.

Movies: I'm gonna have to go with the '50s. In addition to the great Hitchcock movies, Hollywood started to get out of the 'actor as property' mentality and actors started to choose films based on their talents. Some great directors started to emerge. Stanley Kubrick, Sydney Lumet, John Ford, etc. And war movies moved on from being strictly patriotic to a sense of realism. Bridge on the River Kwai, Stalag 17, Sink the Bismark, Paths of Glory, etc. And lastly, the sci-fi movie was coming of age. Although there were duds, they were just growing pains. But you can't beat The Day the Earth Stood Still, It! The Thing from Outer Space, Them, Forbidden Planet, etc. A Great time.

Users who are viewing this thread