decal options for 1/72 P-38J in OD/NG?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ruud

Airman 1st Class
Apr 1, 2010
I have the Academy P-38J. Love the looks of it. I picked up the QB resin engines and barrels as well.

I would like to build it as a ETO or MTO in the OD and NG scheme with the silver faux drop snoot nose, but without D-Day stripes. The later is the catch. I have a Kagero Top Colors book with "California Cutie" in it, but it has the D-Day strips. Illiad has a sheet with "Gentle Annie" but it has D-Day stripes too.

Question, are there other sheets with the silver nose and OD/NG in 1/72 that do not need the D-Day stripes. Or can i just not put on the D-Day stripes and be fairly certain that the mission marks/kills match up (fairly closely)?

Thanks.

Simple answer is, if portrayed before the evening of June 5th, 1944, then there wouldn't be any AEAF stripes. So yes, you could omit the stripes and use the decals.
It should end up looking something like my (still unfinished !) Academy 1/48th scale version, of 20th FG, based in UK.
models 10 -08 012.jpg

ah, now i can reply :)

Tja, i can just build it without the stripes or i can pay (or try myself) to make me a decal for "the Flying Dutchman" P-38J with the 20th FG... the easiest solution is the one y'all have suggested.

Nice find Geo. I noticed that the 'Curtis' prop logos are the wrong way around though, and I think that it would have been fitted with VHF radio, so a mast beneath the nose, and no antenna wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back