Desert Hurricane Damaged 109

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Another couple of shots from Grandads album, he is in the pith helmet on the wing, also a shot up 109 on a captured airfield in the desert.

Attachments

• DesertHurricane1.jpg
    DesertHurricane1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 379
  • Damaged109LibyanDesert.jpg
    Damaged109LibyanDesert.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 348
Cool stuff, thanks for sharing.
Hmmm, is it possible to figure out which squadron that 109 belonged to, and who flew it, just looking at the photos here?
Could be interesting.

Hmmm, is it possible to figure out which squadron that 109 belonged to, and who flew it, just looking at the photos here?
Could be interesting.

Yes I was wondering the same thing, would be interesting.

These were from same airfield as well

Attachments

• 109WingAmmoBelt.jpg
    109WingAmmoBelt.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 286
  • FieslerStorchDesert.jpg
    FieslerStorchDesert.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 292
  • GermanDesertWreck.jpg
    GermanDesertWreck.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 293
Could be interesting.

Maria: Erich, Wojtek or Wayne Little could probably identify the 109. Shame the werk number is missing.

Charles

I was thinking the same thing about the Hurri. It would be great to know which squadron it belonged to and whether there are other pics which show the serial number and code letter(s).

I'm guessing by the 3rd pic - 8./JG 53. I believe they used that vertical bar for the Gruppe and the white wing tips. Early 1943

Last edited:
You could be right there Chris. It's very possible that the aircraft is the same one which has appeared before, in books and other published photos. I'd guess either JG 53 or maybe JG 27.

read somewhere the hurricanes were painted that way to fool Italian and german anti aircraft gunners. They would look like Italaian camo from headon to the gunners

No 3 Squadron SAAF did this to a number of their aircraft. There's a couple of pics in the "Hurricane in Action" squadron/ signal book.

Interesting how dark the underside colour is - check out the port u/c leg. It's much darker than the leading edge "sand" colour (of the "sand and spinach" generic description).

Black 8 is from 8/JG53, a Bf109F-4 Trop, the same 2 photo's appear in the second volume of the History of JG53, doesn't mention a pilot though or W. Nr.

There is reference of a Black 8 in JG 53 Vol 1.

8/5/42 Uffz. Heinrich Becker POW shot down by flak, Luqa/Venezia, pilot bailed out, 100% loss. Bf109F-4 W.Nr.7513...pretty sure this is a different aircraft.
The black 8 in the photo's has not crashed without it's pilot!

And from what I'm seeing, that vertical Gruppe bar was used during early '43 - I don't believe late summer '42. Not the same machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back