Desert P-40 video....it is real (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Interesting Steve. This is the first I've heard of this. What's the story and what will be the fate of this plane?

I don't know that it has been identified yet.
If those videos are anything to go by I fear for the fate of this one.
Cheers
Steve

Very interesting indeed! What a find - makes you think what else might be out in the wilderness. I remember a friend's bother, back in the late 1960s, visiting a point in the desert where there were a number of knocked-out German tanks -no idea what happened to them, might still be there.

It's entirely possible, remember "Lady Be Good" was discovered (with it's crew) in the desert after being lost for decades...and an episode of "Globe Trekker" showed a vast array of WWII British vehicles still rotting in the middle of the desert, if I remember right, somewhere between Tunisia and Libya.

And in RAF markings. Just realized - the canopy was closed, which is a touch unusual if belly-landed and the pilot walked away. Is it possible that the pilot's remains are still in the cockpit? Looked like a successful, but somewhat rough landing, judging by the prop being separated. As there was ammunition still in the bays, it obviously hadn't been touched, let alone any salvage attempt made, at the time of the incident.
Hope we are able to learn more in the fullness of time.

Kind of disheartening to see people climbing all over it like a pile of junk. It should have been treated like the time capsule that it is. I think we are witnessing it's rapid destruction...

I'm afraid to say you're probably right. Not wishing to speculate, but, apart from being of great historic interest, and indeed a 'time capsule', what if it is one of Marseilles' victims? Even more important after 70 years of isolation.

You can just make out the HS of 260Sqn

Obraz%2520151.png

260 Sqn. was an RAF squadron.
Cheers
Steve

And in RAF markings. Just realized - the canopy was closed, which is a touch unusual if belly-landed and the pilot walked away.
Terry McGrady,who knows a thing or two about these aircraft and their operations, posted this on Britmodeller regarding a possible candidate.

"On 28th June 1942 ET574 piloted by Flt Sgt D.C.H. Copping 785025 left 260 to fly to an RSU. The A/C flew with the U/C locked down owing to damage.
Flt Sgt Copping set the wrong course and was thought to have crashed in the Desert owing to fuel exhaustion . FLt Sgt Copping listed as missing on this day .
I'm not saying that this was the A/C concerned , but it MIGHT have been"

Cheers
Steve

I think I can see the S, and kinda sorta can see the H in front of it, (very faint), but....the letter behind the roundel looks an awful lot like a B, to me.
There was an HSB coded P40 that was flown by James "Stocky" Edwards. Not saying this one was his, or flown by him, but it might be another clue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back