DESPICABLE - Father of dead soldier has to pay Westboro Baptist Church

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
Spring Garden resident Albert Snyder got a bill for $16,500 on Friday -- the latest result of his ongoing legal battle with the Westboro Baptist Church.

Church members are seeking to recoup costs from federal appeals court, which dismissed Snyder's lawsuit against them. Snyder's lawyer, Sean Summers, said the court declared last week that Snyder was responsible for the costs.

Efforts to reach an official from Westboro Baptist Church were unsuccessful Monday.

Such mandated reimbursements are common after appellate court cases, Summers said.

When the U.S. Supreme Court hears Snyder's case in the fall, its decision will ultimately make a big difference as to whether or not Snyder can eventually recoup that money, Summers said.

"It's rubbing salt in an open wound," Summers said.

The Topeka, Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church, led by Rev. Fred Phelps, preaches an anti-homosexual message. Members maintain that combat deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan are God's retribution for America's tolerance of gay men and lesbian women.

Church members have promoted that agenda with a series of intentionally provocative demonstrations outside funerals of servicemen and women who were killed in combat, during which they chant and hold signs bearing messages such as "Thank God For Dead Soldiers."

Church members staged such a protest outside the funeral for Snyder's son, Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, in Westminster, Md. Snyder's son was killed in Iraq in 2006 when his Humvee overturned.

Snyder sued the protesters, and a Baltimore jury awarded him $5 million in damages for invasion of privacy and emotional distress. But the 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overturned that decision on First Amendment grounds in September 2009.

Earlier this month, the U.S. Supreme Court agreed to hear the case.

Philadelphia lawyer Howard Bashman, an expert in appellate law, said that the loser in appellate court cases typically compensate the winner for court costs. Those costs tend to be higher when the plaintiffs win, because they must supply a complete copy of the original court case.

The winners may decide not to go after that compensation, frequently because the legal costs involved in pursing the funds would be more than the money they could recoup, Bashman said.

FUNDING THE FUNDLocal lawyer Sean Summers said the federal appellate court rejected arguments that Albert Snyder should not be assessed $16,500 in legal fees because he doesn't have the means to pay them.

A fund has been set up to help Snyder pay the court costs. None of the money will go to attorneys, who are representing him pro bono. To contribute, go to Lance Cpl. Matthew A. Snyder. Or send a check payable to "Al Snyder Fund" to the following address:

Barley Snyder LLC

100 East Market Street

York, PA 17401

Father must pay Westboro Baptist Church $16,500 - The York Daily Record

Let me be the first to stand up and say that not all Baptist churches are the same. I'm ashamed that a church in any way affiliated with my own (even if only in name) would do something like this. God may call us to take a stand against sin, yes, but NEVER at the expense of others, and never in such a ....frikkin despicably low manner! :evil: :evil:

Bill O'Reilly tonight said he will pay the court costs. The case hopefully will go to the Supreme Court. Gotta be overturned.

Sickening! The Westboro Baptist Church can go to hell!

TO

Baptist church my Ass

my own dear beloved Father was a Baptist minister I can imagine he would be turning in his grave over this crapola.

that bunch of clowns is a cult plain and simple, yeah really preaching the love of Christ aren't they ? !

You gotta be kidding me. I've heard this bitch on the radio and I have nothing but animosity for her and shame for her children. This group will ultimately harm someone violently. Mark my words.

I wonder what those A**holes would say if some of their own were killed by a terrorist bomb .these soldiers die for us in the name of peace and freedom .BB

This group protested here about 2 weeks ago at Charleston AFB. They told us not to use that gate and use the alternate gate to go in and out of.

These people are a bunch of duchebag ass clowns who have nothing better to do than to get their jollys off on the expense of the military.

It's not just the military these azzholes hate. I don't associate those people as a church or Baptist. I think it would be a stretch to even call them Christians. Anyone who holds up signs that says "God hates <cause du jour>" is obviously preaching hate. The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) has classified them as a hate group, in the same list as the Aryan Brotherhood, and rightfully so.

A quick read through the ADL site shows examples of their hatred in the words of WBC members and their flyers. They hate America, Jews, most Christians, Blacks, Gays and a litany of others.
Extremism in America - Westboro Baptist Church: About WBC

These people are ignorant buffoons and their minds are so closed, they aren't even worth talking to, or even listening to. The picture below proves that these people are idiots. With signs like God hates you, and God is your enemy, it's clear to me that they are nothing more than media whores.

Attachments

• Sidewalk-WBC.jpg
    Sidewalk-WBC.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Absolutely terrible. This is one church that I would not mind seeing burned. These people do not deserve to call themselves Christians. What they are doing also has nothing to do with being a church or anything, they spread nothing but hatred.

Mother F@@@@@! :evil::evil:

I'm all for Freedom of Speech, but there's no freedom in this! There's no room for discussion or arguement, only animosity and hate. Whoever let these idiots win their hearing and have the father of the deceased pay for compensation is nothing but a peewit, plain and simple.

What is unfortunate is some in the media lump these folks into the same group as those who politically "right." These folks are far right wing idiots and are not representative of mainstream America in any way shape or form. It's horrible that Mr. Snyder has to give these morons a dime. I'd pay them in pennies sent in a barrel mixed with dog sh!t.

Like Les said, I'm honestly amazed none of those WBC aholes have gotten killed protesting a funeral. Talk may be cheap, but if they were protesting at a funeral of someone I know, I'd be liable for a few assualt charges. :evil:

do not be surprised that in the near future this so-called Christian organization and I still call them a cult of ignorant fools, mysteriously disappears one by one ............

Anyone can call themselves Baptist or Christian, but calling yourself a commedian does not mean that you are funny. There is nothing these guys are professing here that is Baptist or Christian. I have been a Baptist for all my life and I can tell you, that, being basically conservative, they are one of the most supportive groups of the military personnel and their missions. I just saw one of their signs on TV that says "God Hates You". Strange, the Bible clearly states "God so loved the world....". The only anger Jesus ever displayed was not against sinners but against religious leaders who was distorting Gods message.

Last edited:
These cretins are masters at using religion to justify their sick, biased, and un-christian behaviour.

A pox on them all. Lacking that, just..........well, never mind.

tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back