Did the Luftwaffe wear socks or something else?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lighthunmust

Banned
May 16, 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
This thread is not a joke. It is intended to be a fun and possibly funny inquiry into an important piece of European military equipment still in use at the end of the 20th century. A few countries held ceremonies honoring the usage of this equipment when it was discontinued. Any members having experience with the historically important piece of equipment I am alluding to please share your experience in a post.

What are you talking about ? Relief systems, the bombers had several systems, but fighters, I've wondered about them too. Nobody likes going into danger with a full bladder.

What are you talking about ? Relief systems, the bombers had several systems, but fighters, I've wondered about them too. Nobody likes going into danger with a full bladder.

Hello tyrodtom,

I am not alluding to "Relief systems" or anything about going into danger with a full bladder. Believe me this thread is not a joke. What I am alluding to is indeed military equipment that was used not just for decades but centuries. I have read that the Wehrmacht used it in WW2 but I have doubts that the Luftwaffe did, especially the pilots and flight crews. Part of the "fun" and possibly "funny" part of this thread is someone figuring out what is the equipment I am attempting to find information on and more importantly posts from members with first-hand experience in using it. I was not joking when I wrote that some nations upon discontinuing its use held ceremonies honoring its use. I am surprised someone has not already figured out what equipment is the topic of this thread. I am guessing an Eastern-European member may be very familiar with it.

A lack of pargraphing Lighthunmust, will confuse some with a big body of text, but I thought the title said it all...

I think the relief systems as a seperate topic would be sort of curious, informative while at same time a bit, mmm, 'conotated'.
Also I think it would likely to end up in a fight about relief equipment sizes and specifications about spam daggers vs. pork swords vs. beef trunchons etc on the one hand, and similar disagreements about what bomb loadings can be withstood in the other. But if that doesn't happen, so the better for having more knowledge in the resource dump.

Last edited:
Military Personal Pocket 'Moggies' (aka...)? by perchance or maybe knitted or produced Willy Warmers, so you can pee outside of clothes; without worrying about frostbite in bloody cold temperatures or stinking of piss (or as much,) during briefings with officers brass in heated areas?

Last edited:
I think he is asking if the Luftwaffe wore there wellies in the bath

Or he might be asking about socks I am mystified as well

Military Personal Pocket 'Moggies' (aka...)? by perchance or maybe knitted or produced Willy Warmers, so you can pee outside of clothes; without worrying about frostbite in bloody cold temperatures or stinking of piss (or as much,) during a briefing with officers brass?

Sorry guys, it is not about "wellies" (Wellington Boots) or "Moggies" (?!). Here is a clue: Wellington would be very familiar with this equipment, so would the "little corporal" version 1.0 and version 2.0. "Wellies" would be very "close" to this piece of equipment. This piece of equipment apparently has some advantages over the equipment that has now almost completely replaced it.

Sorry guys, it is not about "wellies" (Wellington Boots) or "Moggies" (?!). Here is a clue: Wellington would be very familiar with this equipment, so would the "little corporal" version 1.0 and version 2.0. "Wellies" would be very "close" to this piece of equipment. This piece of equipment apparently has some advantages over the equipment that has now almost completely replaced it.

aha...the sandwich !!

Bully beef and crusty white bread with mustard.

we built an empire on that alone

Cheers

John

Going into danger with a full bladder ain't no joke. It's a serious distraction when your mind needs to be elsewhere.

Watch out Lighthunmust, I think you're about to lose control of another thread.

aha...the sandwich !!

Bully beef and crusty white bread with mustard.

we built an empire on that alone

Cheers

John

Going into danger with a full bladder ain't no joke. It's a serious distraction when your mind needs to be elsewhere.

Watch out Lighthunmust, I think you're about to lose control of another thread.

Sorry John, Bully beef and crusty white bread with mustard may have been a integral part of building the empire but that is not the equipment I am alluding too.

Tyrodtom I completely agree with you, "a full bladder ain't no joke". A truly serious distraction that fear usually creates an involuntary elimination.

The thread may go out of "control", but I can't lose something I never had or want. It is never about control, it is about creating mutual cooperation for purposeful consideration of a topic.

Here is another clue: Individuals always use two identical pieces of the equipment. If it is operated while wet or improperly "installed" it causes far more distraction than a temporarily full bladder, it causes casualties. Proper use is so important that elaborate instructions of its use were provided by some military organizations. A German soldier at Stalingrad would be just as familiar with it as soldier with Frederick the Great's army. I am not so sure Luftwaffe pilots would be using it, but they may have. It is entirely possible that a member of this forum native to Europe has used this equipment while serving in the military.Silly songs and jokes about this equipment are not uncommon amongst its users in certain countries. One joke is that it has a secondary use for chemical warfare.

Last edited:
Puttees? I've got no experience with them.

Sorry Tyrodtom, not Puttees. You are close, keep thinking about the area of the body near the bottom of puttees. If you really want to know I will send you a PM if you promise not to make the answer public. I think you deserve this for your perseverance. One member has all ready received the answer for making this promise. I don't want to spoil the fun of anyone who figures out the name of the equipment. It really is a head-smackingly simple answer if you are familiar with the piece of equipment.

Got it.

Dunno the technical term. HOWEVER. it is a rather big piece of cloth. folded in mysterious ways around your foot. instead of socks. It absorbes better 9apparantly), being even more confortable (?) but folded incorrectly causing blisters in a tremendous amount.

Still used in Russia i have heard (don't know that).

Yes? did I get the prize?

Ivan

Got it.

Dunno the technical term. HOWEVER. it is a rather big piece of cloth. folded in mysterious ways around your foot. instead of socks. It absorbes better 9apparantly), being even more confortable (?) but folded incorrectly causing blisters in a tremendous amount.

Still used in Russia i have heard (don't know that).

Yes? did I get the prize?

Ivan

We have a winner!

Congratulations Ivanotter! You have won our glorious grand prize of a set of steak knives and a genuine imitation leather suitcase available for you to pick up at our fabulous distribution center located in Scottsdale, Arizona. (see note #1)

Footwraps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For those of you disappointed that the Grand Prize has been claimed here are two more opportunities to win:

Did all Luftwaffe personnel use footwraps?

Based on your personal experience, what are footwraps really like to use?

We have a wonderful prize for the contestants who provides these sure to be fascinating answers.

Note #1 - Contestants responsible for all expenses incurred while traveling to Scottsdale, Arizona to pick up all prizes

Note#2 - WW2Aircraft.net not responsible for any prize distribution or contestant incurred expenses

Note #3 - All prizes subject to substitution at the discretion of Lighthunmust Footwrap Contest Headquarters. Substitutions may be: one (1) attaboy, a pat on the back, and/or dinner at Ajo Al's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back