DIGITAL REPRODUCTION of AERO-ENGINE BOOKS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jerryw

Airman 1st Class
May 28, 2008
Trentham, Victoria, AU
As might be expected, there are many out-of-print aircraft engine books and manuals now being offered for sale in digital form.

Some examples I have purchased include:

1/ "Piston Aero-Engines of the Great War" Produced by Hampshire County Council, UK in 2009. 2 CD set, one devoted to Allied engines and the other to engines of the Axis powers.
Good value, worth having.

2/ "Pobjoy R-type Engine Handbook" "Curtiss Challenger Handbook" "Le Rhone Engine Handbook" "Monosoupape Type B2 Manual" "Curtiss D-12 Handbook" All on CD-ROM from Weak Force Press, AL, USA.
Good quality scans at reasonable prices.

3/ "Design of Aeroplane Engines" by John Wallace. Print-on-demand book from Uni. of Michigan Library, 2010.
Poor quality book, untidy scans. Cheap but not recommended.

Can anyone add to this list and describe the publications they have purchased? Also, whether purchase is recommended.

Hello Jerry,

A couple of years back I purchased a reprint of Glenn Angle's 1921 "Airplane Engine Encyclopedia", hardcover by Kissinger Press. In my opinion it was a good reprint. The major issue with it is the original had six or so foldouts that the reprint did not. The original was printed on nice glossy paper and the reprint is not bad but matte and no where near as nice. Still, I feel it is a good reprint.

There are a number of old books that can be downloaded free in pdf form that are quite nice to have in the aero-engine library. I don't know if you hunted for these but if you have not, I could find what I can and post here. I much prefer paper copies but better to have something than nothing.

WJP

I had some spare time so I hunted down some ebooks that are available. Not sure if this will help you but I'm sure it will help someone. For the Google Book links, there is a download PDF link at the far right near top. Just click that and the "book" will be yours.

Angle, Glenn - Airplane Engine Encyclopedia (1921):
Airplane engine encyclopedia: an ... - Google Books

Bacon, John - Elements of Aviation Engines (1918 ):
Elements of aviation engines - Google Books

Burls, George - Aero Engines (1915):
Aero engines: with a general ... - Google Books

Chadwick, John - Aviation Engines (1919):
Aviation engines - Google Books

Kean, Francis - Aeronuatical Engines (1916):
Aeronautical engines: a critical ... - Google Books

Marks, Lionel - The Airplane Engine (1922):
The airplane engine - Google Books

Page, Victor - Aviation Engines (1918 ):
Aviation engines: design ... - Google Books

Pollard, Harold - Aero Engines, Magnetos, and Carburetors (1918 ):
Aero engines, magnetos and carburetors - Google Books

Sherbondy, E. H. and G. Wardrop - Textbook of Aero Engines (1920):
Textbook of aero engines - Google Books

Smithsonian Annals of Flight (10 volumes, 6 of which deal with aircraft engines):
Smithsonian Annals of Flight

Wilkinson, Paul - Diesel Aviation Engines (1940) in six parts:
Diesels

Others that may be of interest:

Colvin, Fred - Aircraft Mechanics Handbook (1918 ):
Aircraft Mechanics Handbook - Google Books

Flight Magazine Archives:
Aviation History - Browse the History of Flight from 1909

Moss, Sanford - The Gas Turbine (1903):
The gas turbine: an "internal ... - Google Books

NASA/NACA Technical Reports:
NASA Technical Reports Server

Various engine books not so aviation related:
DigitalBookIndex: ENGINEERING: ENGINES / MOTORS: INTERNAL COMBUSTION (e-Books, eTexts, On-Line Books, eDocuments)

Enjoy,

WJP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back