Dirk's 1/144 Revell F6F-3 Hellcat "The Cat's mouth"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
Here is Revell's 1/144 F6F-3 Hellcat

Brief History of the F6F-3 "the Cats Mouth" Hellcat

acostaf6fa.jpg

The model represents an F6F-3 Hellcat of VF-27 as it appeared in October 1944 when it served aboard the USS Princeton. This was the only squadron of US Hellcats throughout the war that uniformly displayed markings other than those officially sanctioned by the Navy. Pilots Carl Brown, Richard Stambrook, and Robert Burnell, designed the cat-mouth markings during VF-27's training at Kahului Naval Air Station, Maui, Hawaii, in March and April 1944.

All 24 of VF-27s F6F Hellcats were so marked when the squadron embarked aboard the light carrier USS Princeton on May 29, 1944. When the Princeton was sunk by Japanese aircraft off the eastern coast of Luzon in the Philippines on October 24, the defending Hellcats were forced to recover aboard other carriers where they were promptly directed to comply with Navy regulations and eliminate the nose art.

Onto the model

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_3266.jpg

IMG_3267.jpg

IMG_3268.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg

IMG_3270.jpg

IMG_3231-1.jpg

IMG_3271.jpg

IMG_3272.jpg

Of course it's not 100% accurate but what can you do? I had hopped to add the wing gunns but it didn't pan out. To date this is the smallest kit I've ever assembled. In the end It was a tiny model that provided a great deal of fun. Money well spent i might add. If I come across this kit again I may just get a few more for another idea I have

Users who are viewing this thread

Back