Dirk's 1/72 Academy Shinden "The Magnificent Lightning"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
History

kyushuj7wshindenwithcrewposing.jpg

J7W1_Shiden_.jpg

The Kyushu J7W1 Shinden (Magnificent Lightening) was the only aircraft of a canard configuration to be ordered into quantity production anywhere in the world during the second World War.

Work on the J7W1 began in earnest in June of 1944 and the first prototype was completed within a mere ten month period. The nose, to which the horizontal stabilizers were attached, was to contain four 30 mm Type 5 cannon and housed the nose wheel. The pilot sat in the middle of the fuselage forward of the aft-mounted swept wings. The main undercarriage legs and wheels retracted laterally into the wings and small auxiliary wheels retracted into the base of the two vertical fins and rudders attached to the wings. The 2,130 hp Mitsubishi MK9D eighteen cylinder radial engine and its supercharger were installed in the fuselage behind the pilots cockpit and drove a six-blade propeller via an extension shaft. Engine cooling air was supplied by long narrow obliquely mounted intakes on either side of the fuselage. The navy, disparately needing a heavily armed high-performance interceptor fighter, decided prior to the aircraft's maiden flight to order it into production at Kyushu's Zasshonokuma factory and at Nakajima;s Handa plant. Considering the difficult conditions under which the Japanese aircraft industry was working at the time, the anticipated monthly output of 30 Shindens from Kyushu and 120 from Nakajima appears to have been overly optimistic and the Japanese surrender put an end to them.

Difficulties with engine cooling on the ground and the unavailability of some items of equipment delayed the first flight until August 3, 1945, when Captain Tsuruno took the aircraft for a short flight at Fukuoka Airport. Two other short flights were made bringing the total test time to some 45 minutes prior to the end of the war and revealed the need to correct a strong torque pull to starboard on takeoff and marked vibrations in the propeller and drive shaft. At wars end a second prototype had been completed but not flown and it was eventually dismantled and shipped to the United States. This aircraft is currently stored and the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C. awaiting eventual restoration. Plans were also made for a J7W2 version in which the radial engine was to be replaced with a 900 kg thrust Ne-130 turbojet.

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

I forgot to post this in the beginning so here it is now. Looking at the instructions and the colors called out doe the build I found this one. Anyone know what color this is?

IMG_0278.jpg

Dirk,

Don't use hull red. It would be more accurate to use a brown if you are going with general colors. One could almost think this color is the same as "cheap" milk chocolate. I have included a shot of the paint jar in question below, taken with my cell phone. Note that the colors are all off. The color is definitely NOT green. Oh, I guess I got the manufacturer wrong, it's Mr Hobby from Japan

2012-07-16_20-43-03_439.jpg

Also, I was curious as to the finish on the LG doors and bays and wrote to the Smithsonian to ask about it. What I got back was a partial copy of the restoration guide lines (dated 25 October 1983!) authored by none other than Mr Robert C. Mikesh, Senior Curator. Interesting stuff.

Here are his paint suggestions;

External, upper: Black Green (N.1) Munsell 10 GY 2/2
External, lower surfaces, wheel wells and covers: Light Gray (N.10) Munsell 7.5/
Propeller and spinner: Brown (N.12) Munsell 10 R 2/3
Wing leading edge and propeller tip markings: Yellow (N.14) Munsell 10 YR 7/14
Insignia and warning: Red (N.20) Munsell 5 R 4/12
Cockpit: Interior Green (N.5) 10 Y 4/4
Landing Gear: Flat Black

Enjoy!

Regards, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back